Angels and Bala Sharks in 125

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crustyshellback

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently (about a month ago) purchased a 125 gal aquarium on Craigslist. The ad said that it came with everything. I found out when I started talking to the seller that "everything" included 24 Angelfish an a huge female albino BNP. Long story short, I've given away 12 juveniles, moved my 5 adults that I already had in my 55 into the 125 with 5 adults that came with the tank, and temporarily moved the remaining 7 juveniles into my 55. That leaves me with 10 adult Angels and the BNP in the 125.
My question is this: I've always loved Bala Sharks, but knew I didn't have tank space to keep them. Does anyone think it advisable to put a couple of Balas in this tank?

Congrats on a great tank!

Most people don't house these correctly and considering they get over a foot long I'd say probably just barely big enough for a few. And it wouldn't be the worst thing. Clean water and good foods and not being over stocked would be important too. So if that were the norm, then I think okay as they aren't instantly one foot long.

Maybe you could find a deal on a bigger tank in the next couple years ;) just in case you wanted an upgrade when they get bigger.

Well the issues I see is that balas school so you are gonna want multiples. Also they swim really fast which might stress the slower angels. I don't know if they nip or not. If they do mixing with angels isn't a good idea. And yeah they get huge. My lfs that closed had like three that were over a foot in a massive tank (thousands of gallons)

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the advice. I did some research on possible tank mates for Angelfish, and Bala Sharks kept coming up. Some sites said you needed at least 75 gallons and others said 150. Some said you should keep at least 3 and other said at least 6. Regardless, I think I'll scrap the Bala Shark idea for now. I'm not looking for something that will dominate the tank, but I would like to add some diversity to the tank. Maybe some kind of schooling fish that won't get overlooked in a tank that size. Any ideas?
Oh, and if I got a bigger tank my wife would kill me and feed me to the fish.

You have a ton of choices. Rainbowfish, congo tetras and emperor tetras all come to mind. I keep geophagus altirons with my angels in my 150, but they get very large. Maybe some Bolivian rams?

I have a Bolivian ram with the angels and they get along great. You could try black skirt tetras. I don't think they nip so they should be okay with the angels

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've probably stated in this forum more than once that the appeal of black skirt tetras escapes me. They are a plain fish which get plainer as they mature, plus they have a reputation for being slightly nippy.

No nastiness intended. I see these tetras offered for sale everywhere and they don't appeal to me. I'd rather have pristella tetras or black neons if I wanted a less colorful species. Just my personal preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So many fish choices. Too many posts here on AA to try and read them all, I tried!

Delapool has a beautiful group of Congo tetras in his 150G you can see them here if you haven't ever seen them looking like they are supposed to.

Page 26 post #259
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f19/delapools-150-gallon-tank-342669-26.html

As for bottom fish choices. Red Tail Shark. A large group of Cories chosen with consideration to make sure you can see them well against the substrate. In large groups, say 30+ (or more!) They add a fun aspect to the tank.

One thing was my Cray - I had a White /aka Vanilla and my friend kept a beautiful Blue I got her for her b-day. Interesting and colorful.

I actually have a Blue Crayfish in a different tank. My son named him The Kraken. He's awesome, but only comes out of hiding at dinnertime and after the lights are out. Still considering what to put in with the Angels. You're right, so many choices. I have four 4" Dennison Barbs in a 93 gal cube that I'm considering moving to the 125. As all of the fish in the 93 are getting older and bigger, it seems a little crowded. No problem with water quality. Just seems a little tight. I'm thinking the Dennies might appreciate the longer tank.

Back
Top Bottom