Angels or Tiger Barbs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishalicious

Aquarium Advice Freak
Which would you rather keep? :?

I can't decide whether I want some Angels or 5 or 6 Tiger Barbs. I know that it isn't the best idea to house them together mostly because of the nipping. I really want active and playful fish which is why I'm leaning towards the Barbs.

What are some pros/cons?

-Dan 8)

Pro: Tiger barb is very active
Con: Will nip the fins of the danioss, they are no good in a community

Pro: Angels Will readily breed, are colorful and they will seem active in a bigger tank (petco cruelty)
Con: When they breed they become aggressive so you will need somewhere to house parents and fry. They wont go in the siamese fighters either: mine was placed with them and lfs and he was almost ripped to shreds. He was getting killed when I bought him.

This is your decision: dont let me get in the way. Choose which you (and family) prefer. I would say angels are the better choice.

I think you've already answered your question, 'licious.;)

If you like colorful, active fish- you can't go wrong with the tiger barbs. Angels can seem boring to some, as they aren't constantly moving like the barbs do. You'll also have to deal with cichlid aggression/territorial behaviour with them as well.

Have you seen the green tiger barbs? Very impressive, indeed!:)

Voodoo Chilli said:
I think you've already answered your question, 'licious.;)

If you like colorful, active fish- you can't go wrong with the tiger barbs. Angels can seem boring to some, as they aren't constantly moving like the barbs do. You'll also have to deal with cichlid aggression/territorial behaviour with them as well.

Have you seen the green tiger barbs? Very impressive, indeed!:)
In the lfs here they sell tiger barbs, grreen tigers and albino tigers - but I don't buy any fish from there, it is a positive deathtrap. Like walking into a morgue. green tiger barbs eating their dead, mossy companions.

The albino and green barbs are very nice indeed.

Fishalicious, the main thing you should be concerned about in deciding is tank size and such. I see from your sig you have a cycling 55 gal. tank. With that, I wouldn't go with any more than 4-5 angels, just because they can get about 6-7 inches in diameter.

I have 4 in my tank now, and they will get pretty big. Then, you have to be concerned about other fish to go along with them. You already have zebra danios and such, but after that, you'd have to be concerned with what else you got.

Angels can seem boring to some,

Angels are anything but boring. They are such the interactive, personal fish. I have one in my tank that I've had about two years, and he comes up to me when I go to the glass. Eats out of my hand, swims beautifully.

So... angels are colorful, bright, active...but require lots of space, touchy fish decisions after you get them.

Barbs...very active, don't require as much space, not as colorful or personable.

All in all, I think if you wanted to house many different species of fish, you should go with the barbs perhaps. If that's not a concern to you, I'd go with the angels. I have angles, rasboras, silver dollars, and clown loaches in my tank, all get along fine.

I think that's about it, haha, have fun deciding!

Turtles-

My comments about angels being "boring" to some people really applies more so to those who've not been bitten by the cichlid bug. Angels simply aren't as active as barbs, so those who're mostly interested in an active tank full of colorful fish aren't going to be as impressed by them as they would a tank full of frenetic barbs. Cichlid personalities aren't as important to some: I remember being that way a long time ago, before I became a full-blown cichlidiot.;)

I wouldnt go with 4-6 Angels anyway. I was planning on just keeping 3 (2 if there is a match and there is aggression).
I have 55 gallons which to me is plenty of room for three of them, 4 danios, and even some more fish. I'm not planning on overstocking because that to me is quite inhumane and puts more of a workload on myself.
-Dan

Fishalicious said:
I can't decide whether I want some Angels or 5 or 6 Tiger Barbs. I know that it isn't the best idea to house them together mostly because of the nipping. I really want active and playful fish which is why I'm leaning towards the Barbs.

From the description of what you're looking for, I think you'd be happier with the tiger barbs.

How about an assortment of different ones? Some green, some albino and some regular? That'd really give you some color!

I personally don't agree that tiger barbs aren't good in a community. If you keep enough of them, most people find they will keep the nipping contained to their own kind.

I certainly wouldn't worry about the danios. They're fast enough to stay away from my puffer.

If I were to get 2 tigers, 2 green, and 2 albinos would they school together? I know theyre the same species but they all have different patterns. Do you think they'd get along well?

Turtles-

My comments about angels being "boring" to some people really applies more so to those who've not been bitten by the cichlid bug. Angels simply aren't as active as barbs, so those who're mostly interested in an active tank full of colorful fish aren't going to be as impressed by them as they would a tank full of frenetic barbs. Cichlid personalities aren't as important to some: I remember being that way a long time ago, before I became a full-blown cichlidiot.

That's cool VooDoo :lol: I have heard many people just say that angelfish were boring fish because they don't move around so fast, etc. I just think they are really cool!
I wouldnt go with 4-6 Angels anyway. I was planning on just keeping 3 (2 if there is a match and there is aggression).

That would work too, but you just might need to watch what else you get afterwards. The barbs might pick, they might not..all depends on the fish, you know.

Good luck with deciding.

That would work too, but you just might need to watch what else you get afterwards. The barbs might pick, they might not..all depends on the fish, you know.

Definitely. Just like people. There are those Ghandi fish and there are those Jeffery Dahmer fish; That like to eat their own kind :twisted:

I've always been an angel lover and have kept angels. I have three angels in my 55g tank and their size varies. The oldest is a good 5-6" a cross between a zebra and a yellow angel. The next one is 3-4" which is mostly black with a little yellow. The newbie has just been around for 4 weeks and is a tiny long veiled zebra. The angels are more graceful than active which I enjoy watching. They say that watching fish in a tank lowers the blood pressure. I believe em.

I have had a 55 with angels and once they pair off you have to do something with the extras, they are not tolerated. I also agree that they are not very active - mine will sit there motionless from time to time. However, if you have a spawning pair there will be plenty of interesting activity, and there are plenty of tankmates that will work fine.

However, there have been several posts recently about tiger barbs and it has made me nostalgic for the fabulous tiger barb tank I kept once a while ago - they make a really wonderful tank when you get a whole crew of them, and "active" does not fully describe it, LOL! You could get a mess of 'em (stocked gradually) and some cory cats for the bottom, maybe a small pleco or two, and I think it would be lovely.

I've really been leaning towards the barbs.
I really like an active tank and them with the danios I'm sure will really make it fun. I just dont want them pickin' on my little danios :x

I think a few Tigers and a few Green Tigers would do the trick.. (I wasn't really diggin' the albinos for some reason)

Thanks All
-Dan

Fishalicious said:
If I were to get 2 tigers, 2 green, and 2 albinos would they school together? I know theyre the same species but they all have different patterns. Do you think they'd get along well?

THat is what I have now... 3 green 2 albino, and 2 regular... They are fine with eachother and "school" nicely... they kind of spread themselves around a bit but all in all are great fish. FYI... try to rind a RED rock... at least my barbs do this, they will quickly swin down from the surface to the red rock look at it for a second... then rub it and swim back to the surface, just to do it all over again... for HOURS.... At first I thought something was wrong and they were itching... but now after doing it for almost a year... I think its just one of those strange things that Tiger barbs do like swimming on their noses... Good luck with whatever you decide...
~Melody

Oh, how could I forget that adorable habit of headstanding while they sleep, Melody! It is too funny to go into a dark room and peer into the tank and see them all nose down. :)

TankGirl said:
Oh, how could I forget that adorable habit of headstanding while they sleep, Melody! It is too funny to go into a dark room and peer into the tank and see them all nose down. :)

They are TRUELY a nurotic little fish... I actually have plans or wants... not sure which... to get some more... I need to do some math and figure out how many more would fit in my tank. I love them. And that red rock, Im not sure what the fasination is for them but they LOVE their red rock. My husband thinks I have gone nuts, I sit in front of the tank laughing at them he just walks by shaking his head muttering something... poor guy. I now have them eating from my fingers alon with my peacock eel. My biggest green barb will snach the worms out of my fingers and the Peacock will chase him all over the tank. What a show.

Back
Top Bottom