Angels, will they be ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you really want a pair go with 3 if not just get 2. Getting odd numbers is a myth. For the strain I recommend blue or platinum angels.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you really want a pair go with 3 if not just get 2. Getting odd numbers is a myth. For the strain I recommend blue or platinum angels.

I would say getting odd numbers is far from myth. As angelmom pointed out she has two and both wound up being males, constantly fighting, and needed separating. I don't know if that's all she got (sounds it) or she got more and lost one along the way, but there's a better likelihood that a purchase of three at one time would've resulted in a better percentage mix of gender. Just my thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Most Angel's are beautiful fish, i don't have any suggestions on the strain. I have a Zebra Lace and a Marbled.
I would suggest getting 3 or more, better chances for a mix of males & females. If you want to stick with just 2, try to get both females, they will get along pretty well, much better than 2 males. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404566714.836106.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404566757.302176.jpg
These are my two.

If your looking for good tank mates for the angels , mine are in with black skirt tetras, they get along great.

Yeah of course the more you get the better gender ratio you'll see. Meddid was the one who told me the odd number thing was a myth.

I think... I will get 3... Because I'm sure 3 males will have less aggression than 2, and if it's 2 m 1 f I will wait for a pair and sell the loner, same with 2 fm 1 m... If I get 3 fm that's fine too :p

Try to get a cool strain. These fish will be the the center show fish. They are rather large 6". I'd recommend true Altums, platinums, or blues.

In the wild neons are a natural food source for Altum angels. Unless you get wild caught angels or very large adult ones you shouldn't have problems. If you get very small angels with a body since of a quarter or smaller and raise them with neons (try not to get tiny ones like the size of many livebearer fry) there are usually no problems. I've been keeping angels since the 70's and they are still my favorite fish. I currently have 9 breeding angels (3 pairs and 1 trio) in a heavily planted 220g tank. In a 45g I wouldn't do more than 2. When you get small ones there is no way to tell sex. Angels mature at 8 months of age. Angels like most cichlids tend to have individual temperaments so until they mature you really don't know how they will be. I've had males in tanks and females in tanks and I've had females that were as aggressive as males and males as laid back as can be. I've found mature, old males are the ones that can turn quite ill tempered but that is not the norm. I've also had 2 females in a tank and had them spawn (obviously eggs weren't fertile). My angels are always in community tanks and spawn and in all the years I've kept them a spawning pair have never killed another fish. They will drive other fish from the area but don't chase them down and kill them. If you provide a large leaf plant such as an amazon sword in the tank this often makes a great site for claiming, and if planted at one end of the tank, can keep the angel/s very happy.

Huh, well I wanted to post a poll so you guys could vote, but I couldn't figure it out, or it's just not possible? Maybe I'll make a new thread?

In the wild neons are a natural food source for Altum angels. Unless you get wild caught angels or very large adult ones you shouldn't have problems. If you get very small angels with a body since of a quarter or smaller and raise them with neons (try not to get tiny ones like the size of many livebearer fry) there are usually no problems. I've been keeping angels since the 70's and they are still my favorite fish. I currently have 9 breeding angels (3 pairs and 1 trio) in a heavily planted 220g tank. In a 45g I wouldn't do more than 2. When you get small ones there is no way to tell sex. Angels mature at 8 months of age. Angels like most cichlids tend to have individual temperaments so until they mature you really don't know how they will be. I've had males in tanks and females in tanks and I've had females that were as aggressive as males and males as laid back as can be. I've found mature, old males are the ones that can turn quite ill tempered but that is not the norm. I've also had 2 females in a tank and had them spawn (obviously eggs weren't fertile). My angels are always in community tanks and spawn and in all the years I've kept them a spawning pair have never killed another fish. They will drive other fish from the area but don't chase them down and kill them. If you provide a large leaf plant such as an amazon sword in the tank this often makes a great site for claiming, and if planted at one end of the tank, can keep the angel/s very happy.

Well I found a deal on eBay for a trio of blues for only 17$... They are still juevies so should I keep all 3 or sell 1 or two immediately/when they mature?

Remember angels can get very large and personally I wouldn't keep more than 2 adults in a 45.

Back
Top Bottom