Angles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwhit13

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well started restocking my 55 gallon today that used to hold my African Cichlids who are all now in the bigger tank. I purchased four Angel Fish. I have done quite a bit of study online about them . Was looking for any input,advice from you guys who keep angels. Just general care, water parameters, tank mates and those kind of things.

My Angels are super easy going! They live with:

7 Angels (duh!)
17 danios
15 Ottos
8 khuli loaches
Nerite snails
Amono shrimp

They only bother each other, which is why I had to set up a breeding tank for a pair out of the seven.

Did you get small ones? My best advice is have a plan for when the breeding happens. And they love plants.

Sent from my iPhone

For some reason I was under the belief not to have more than two or four in a tank , thats nice! Yeah there all four about a quarter or slightly bigger size. Hadn't thought about how to remove them for breeding yet but could probably set up a small tank pretty quick and easily. How big of a tank do you use for that? I do plan on heavily planting it. I want it to be a total contrast to my rocky Cichlid tank next to it. I have about a quarter of it planted pretty well right now and love it. Going to pick up some more plants over the next few days and do another section .

While small, all is well. I've seen tanks with mature angels in groups that get along (rare)
At the moment I have two big angels that get along, also rare.
I keep saying rare because from my own experience, things don't always work out as we want them with angels, they can be very nasty towards each other.
Being able to sex them and pair them is a big plus that I have not been able to master.

3 of my seven are young and I have two pairs. One is getting moved next week and the other should be okay for a few more weeks as they only fight with the other pair. The three younger ones still all hang out together. Up until two-three weeks ago I have the cutest school of seven Angels swimming together like neons.

Sent from my iPhone

I bought my first four yesterday. I have them in a tank with two dwarf gouramis. I was considering going and getting two more today so there are a total of six at the same age and size. They are in a 55 gallon which like I said will be heavily planted. My thoughts were adding a couple more dwarf gouramis and possibly three platys from my 40gallon. do you guys think this set up could work or would you tweek it or abandon it all together lol

Usually gouaramis and angels don't mix. It all comes down to their temperament. I currently have in a 55g 6 angles, 2 large and are a pair, the other four are tiny, I got them the size of dimes. They are about half dollar now. I rarely see any attacks in my tank. It might help to get dither fish. The overcrowding to reduce aggression works with Angels just like african cichlids:

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

ok thats opposite of what I've read. I had read the dwarf gouramis would be good partners but that fish like zebra danios would make them nervous ...lol ... I guess each case really does come down to the individual personality of each fish. funny you should say that about the over crowding like the Africans, I was actually wondering if that would work. What if any do you have with your Six angel? Also I'm curious, do the various types and color strains of the Angels mix together for pairing or do they stick to there own variety. My four I bought yesterday are two black and two marble

My double dark and domestic silver paired. I have 7 black neons, and a pair of Rams. And a few Otos for algae consumption

My blue pearl scale and koi are pared but and I have a smokey veil and a gold veil that paired (so glad the veils happened to like each other)

Dwarf gourami are actually pretty aggressive. I had to rehome my two but they were both male and in a tall tank (both of those facts are bad ideas--2 males tall tanks...)

My Angels live with 17 assorted danios all with long fins except 1 has short fins. They ignore the Angels--and the Angels don't even notice the danios. I suspect they say danios and Angels are bad is because the short finned can be nippy to the long angel fins, but my group is so large and almost all are long finned so I haven't had even one problem. I also have 15 ottos, which may become food later I'll keep an eye on that but so far so good, they also live peacefully with my Amano fish and my nerite snails AND khuli loaches. Those ones I worry about most because they're so skinny.

Long story short I vote no more gourami.

Sent from my iPhone

I think I will forgo the extra gourami, being I have two males...they had been living peacefully together though in the fourty with the tetra , mollies and platys..so ill see how they do here. so far they seem afraid of the angels. Glad to know they will pair with different strains. I think I may just go for the six angels and add a few cories in there ...any thoughts on Rainbow fish with them? really love the Bosemani but don't know if i would want six fish that big in there with them

I have my angel in a 56g with a 6" snakeskin (f) and a 4" gold (m) gourami with no issues whatsoever. 6" Rainbow shark in there just to make it more volatile. 4 Platy's, 1 Balloon Ran, 5 Neons and 5 Cory's make up the rest of the tenants.

Shark will chase (not nip) the Gold, Platy's and Ram at feeding once food drops below mid-level, otherwise no issues at all.

I was going to do more than one angel but didn't want to press my luck and have to rehome one or more.

Angels can be a challenge at times. Some are just nasty even at a small size. Other times you can have a bunch that get along fine together.

I would absolutely love to put a red tailed black shark in there, but everything I read says there really hit and miss and I wouldnt want them attacking the Angels...the more I read about this and watch my angels the more I'm leanign toward making it an Angel only (with a couple exceptions) tank. The Rainbows do appeal to me though and I really dont want to have to close my wife on yet another tank......yet lol

I would absolutely love to put a red tailed black shark in there, but everything I read says there really hit and miss and I wouldnt want them attacking the Angels...the more I read about this and watch my angels the more I'm leanign toward making it an Angel only (with a couple exceptions) tank. The Rainbows do appeal to me though and I really dont want to have to close my wife on yet another tank......yet lol

I wish my boyfriend felt that way. Every time I turn around he has a reason we need a new tank. I'm thinking we are going to be on that show animal hoarders "fish tank edition"

Sent from my iPhone

I wish my boyfriend felt that way. Every time I turn around he has a reason we need a new tank. I'm thinking we are going to be on that show animal hoarders "fish tank edition"

Sent from my iPhone

lol now thats funny . If my wife was as into this as me we would probably be missing some furniture to make room for more tanks lol

lol now thats funny . If my wife was as into this as me we would probably be missing some furniture to make room for more tanks lol

Luckily we have a pretty decent sized house and a cat with his own empty room. Entertainment for the cat he says now, since the family room, formal living room, and our bedroom has a minimum 2 tanks each.

Sent from my iPhone

I started with 3 angels and ended up with 1. 2 died after 6 mths. But 1 was just hardcore mean to 1 angel. It's the weirdest thing. You'll just have to watch them and see who pairs up/who gets along, etc. But if suggest watching them closely.

Back
Top Bottom