Annnie's 37 gallon (photo's)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thanks! i'll try and take some decent photo's when the sun goes down.
Fish problems aren't fun especially when i thought i was doing everything carefully and slowly.

anyway i'm really struggling to find a small peaceful schooling fish haha.. maybe i'll scrap the schooling fish altogether :/ hmmm decisions decisions.

Very nice look tank; all the wood and leaves gives it a real natural feel. Sorry about the fish issues.

thanks! i'll try and take some decent photo's when the sun goes down.
Fish problems aren't fun especially when i thought i was doing everything carefully and slowly.

anyway i'm really struggling to find a small peaceful schooling fish haha.. maybe i'll scrap the schooling fish altogether :/ hmmm decisions decisions.

If I am not mistaken, Tetras school and are community fish. Tiger Barbs do as well but will be somewhat agressive if the school is too small or you just get a badass group of Tigers.

thanks!.. the tank looks horrible atm tho.. so greeeen from meds haha.. ive actually put card covering the front to hide the tank and telling people the tank is "currently under contruction" :p

yeah i know their ment to be peaceful.. but mine arent. So over all the fighting and the no schooling.. they school sometimes but the rest of the time there everywhere doing their own things or fighting. I want a small schooling fish that are sort of just background fish and the dwarf cichlids being the centre of attention.

Absolutely no tiger barbs in a tank with dwarf cichlids IMO. TB's belong in a semi aggressive tank and will easily outcompete your apistos for food.

I can't tell what species of apisto you have from the pics, but aside from the female getting fat, when she turns bright yellow with a black slash though her eye, a spawn is imminent IME. If you see this, watch her and see if she goes to an area where she is guarding eggs. It's usually pretty easy to spot.

Your tank looks wonderful. Really great job!!!!!!!!

I wonder about harlequin rasboras? I am not sure how compatible they are with apistos though. I love my little HR's, they're cute and shiny. :D

I agree, Harlequins would be a great choice because of their friendly nature. Harleys are such peaceful fish, they school tightly, they look adorable, and again, Ive heard so many great things how they're soo peaceful.

Perhaps give them try?

Good luck!

My rummy nose tetras school very tight in my 100gal. tank. They are a really beautifull fish IMO.
Your tank in very nicely done.

Actually i think i might go with the rasboras :) .. thanks to all for the suggestions.

Once again i was about an hour away from home and checked out another fish store.. and for the firdt time i found good quality german blue rams.. so i bought a pair!! however when i brought them home and they settled in and coloured up.. it's obvious they are 2 females.
They fight a little but it doesn't seem serious.

The apisto male doesn't like the rams and nips at them and tries to fan them away with his tail but there isn't any chasing or damage which is good. The female apisto hasn't shown any aggression to them.. she actually follows them and has rubbed sideways against them like she does to the male hahaha.

also i got 2 new plants.. so when i have time i'll be moving things around again :)
img_1164885_0_bfa0c3421cba94228eb254a9de484060.jpg

oh my goshhhh!! A few times i've seen the 2 female rams about to fight each other and just as their flaring and about to ram each other the female apisto comes out and goes in between them and then the rams back off from fighting.. I'll try and get a pic next time.. It's amazing :D

they are very pretty!.. i'm a bit disappointed i didn't get a male.. these girls are so pretty so i can just imagine how awesome the male would look.

Update on the planting i've done.. not happy as of yet but tomorrow i'm going to pull out some plants from my works pond ;) hahaha.. i was cleaning around it yesterday and thought... "heyyyy i could use some of these plants" :p
img_1165445_0_7f95a54807022b9a634f73b60a5eb4f2.jpg

plants plants plants

img_1165867_0_fba4ef7050ce37edf36f0c21a16e957d.jpg

and a pic of the apisto female and rams "schooling".. having a girls night haha. It's hilarious how much the apisto female loves the rams.
img_1165867_1_54968e0956d0e533c9a429f1f3efb6f5.jpg

libbyb: thanks!. The leaves last about a week. They are indian almond leaves/ketapang leaves which is used to lower PH and create black water. So because my dwarf cichlids come from black water i know it's compatible. Also another way to figure out when to take them out of the tank is when they loose their colour and stop leaching tanins. If you want to put them in your tank just remember that it does make your water a tea colour. I think another leaf you can use is mable leaves but i don't really know anything about using them.

Jason7894561230: this side of aus is alright... except when it comes to fish products. I have not found 1 store that sells seachem.. their are also reallllllly strict laws like you can't import plants and other things into this state. So i'm going to have to shop online.. i'm running low on all my seachem products!.
Also i came from Queensland to Western Australia.

Back
Top Bottom