Another Canister Filter Question Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h2oskierc

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 20 Gallon Tall tank, stocked with 3 guppies, 5 Neon Tetras and 2 Electric Blue Rams. Currently it is filtered by two HOB filters, Marineland Penguin 100B and an Aqueon QuietFlow 20. I am thinking I may want to switch to a canister filter, is that overkill for a 20 Gallon Tank? It is low light, and planted with some java fern and anubias.

The biggest reason I want to do this is to keep the water as clean as possible for those EBRs. Is a canister filter overkill for that size tank? What features should I look for? Is a UV sterilizer important?

I do hope to get a larger tank some day, and it would probably replace the 20, as we don't have a large home.

Also, would I then need some form of aeration to get oxygen into the water?

They make small canister filters... fort had one on his 5g cube. I'd get a rena xp2, fluval 305, or eheim 2224. I've used both a 305 and 2224 on a 20 long with no flow issues.

I use a Marineland C-360 for my 46 gal bowfront. They also make a C-160 which would work for your size aquarium. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16744 While I was researching canister filters, I saw some negative reviews on these but I don't see why. I've had nothing but a pleasant experience with them. Word of advice if you do decide on a canister, don't buy the pre-packaged carbon bags. You'll spend half the money if you fill your own media bags.

Back
Top Bottom