Another feeding question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xray

Aquarium Advice Freak
I read on another post that african cichlids should only be fed once every other day. Is this true. I have been feeding once sometimes twice a day. I use tiny little pellets and I try to make sure everyone gets some (even the fry). But the amount I give them is usually gone in a matter of seconds. Am I over feeding. :dope: :jump: :eyes:

I find that proper feeding needs to be figured out by experiment. You want the fish to look sleek, not too fat and not too thin. If you find that feeding every day makes their bellies bloated, try every other day. I feed my yellow lab a little bit every day, but he is the only fish in the tank and aggression doesn't play a factor. One thing you definitely do have to watch out for--alphas have a tendency to get bloated while the submissive fish starve. Make sure they are all getting fed properly.

Hungry fish are happy fish. If the fish seem extremely hungry at their once-a-day feeding, keep it up! In fact, if they seem REALLY extremely hungry at feeding maybe worry about underfeeding?

I would say you are fine. I feed my africans several times a day. As long as the food was gone right away you are ok. The thing to watch out for is water quality. Are they producing a lot of waste requiring extra cleaning?

Back
Top Bottom