Another fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mccl0e

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had my 20 gallon tank for about 6 months now and have 3 dwarf puffers and 3 Otto catfish. There are about 8 real plants and plenty of hiding places. I have been getting a lot of brown algae and the ottos only seems to clean waste from the bottom. They don't touch the glass or rock decoration in the tank. Is there another type of algae cleaner I could add to clean the walls and decor? Any suggestions would help. Thanks.

The brown algae is likely diatoms. If so, they will eventually go away on their own. It's a "new tank" thing for the first week-to-year.

You can wipe them away with each water change, they will stop reappearing, or, you can get a couple nerite snails to clean up for you.

Nerites will be a ten by the puffers. Not much is compatible with them other than otos.

My nerite's doing good, but then, he is twice the size of the puffers and they have plenty of bladder snails, so maybe they just haven't got round to him yet.

Back
Top Bottom