Another "help with stocking!"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Buu

Aquarium Advice Freak
I need help figuring out what type of fish to add next. I suppose my "centerpiece" fish.

I have a 30g, with plants, sand, DW and a couple caves. Currently I have 3 white blushing tetras, 4 black Khulis and a few ghost shrimp in there. I plan on getting more tetras to make a large school when I find more and maybe some striped khulis later on. I'm really into gouramis, badis badis and mosquito rasboras! In fact that would pretty much be my tank right there if I had them in my area or planned my tank better (lol maybe next tank). I want something with colour but nothing crazy aggressive. And wouldn't mind a pair or trio of something either if it needed to be (I feel sort of sad if I just have ONE of something you know?).

I'd add two more tetras. If you want a centerpiece fish, I'd go with a dwarf gourami

Look at a group of Threadfin Rainbows. Lovely fins. As long as your Tetras aren't too nippy.

I don't do a Centerpiece fish. My whole tank is the star. My plants and my groups of fish. I think Centerpiece Fish is a lousy concept. A focal point is fine whether its a showy plant, a really nice piece of DW or a showy group of fish. Very few fish are good as singletons. Dwarf Gouramis are one, that can work, but I prefer large groups of fish.

Look at a group of Threadfin Rainbows. Lovely fins. As long as your Tetras aren't too nippy.

I don't do a Centerpiece fish. My whole tank is the star. My plants and my groups of fish. I think Centerpiece Fish is a lousy concept. A focal point is fine whether its a showy plant, a really nice piece of DW or a showy group of fish. Very few fish are good as singletons. Dwarf Gouramis are one, that can work, but I prefer large groups of fish.

I so completely agree. It's why I put "centerpiece" fish. And why I said I wouldn't want just one of any kind. I just need some ideas!

I'm so sad. I accidentally killed one of my blushing white skirts and am left with only 2! (Sad story short. I was cleaning my tank yesterday, bumped the mopai with vac and it moved out of place and apparently conked him =( I feel so bad. I hope he didn't suffer any!). So my mission now is to get more white skirts and -then- work on more fish. I would like something with red! But nothing aggressive. Like I saw some pretty cichlids but would be worried about aggression! I wish they weren't so mean. I wouldn't mind like a guy and a few girls, but know they breed easy lol and I only have 30 gallons to work with here!

The threadfin rainbows look gorgeous, are they nippy at all?

I like the gouramis too. I just worry they will attack my white skirts (cause they have flowy fins).

A pearl gourami? They're very pretty but it all depends on the temperaments of your other fish

Dwarf gourami can in fact be very aggressive. They are much like betta in that they each have different personalities so sometimes you luck out and other times you don't. I have Threadfin Rainbow's and they aren't nippy. You would have to watch your skirted tetra's since Threadfin males have those long flowing fins. The Threadfins mainly use the upper 1/3 of a tank and they do make excellent community fish.

The threadfin rainbows look gorgeous, are they nippy at all?

I like the gouramis too. I just worry they will attack my white skirts (cause they have flowy fins).

Threadfins have tiny throats and mouths, not nippy. Males display and chase each other, but no damage. Your Tetras are more liable to nip.
I crush flake food and use frozen baby brine for food.

Back
Top Bottom