another lost fish.... :( and some questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ilovemydragongoby

Aquarium Advice FINatic
we lost our beloved little green spotted puffer, Verde, monday night. I was treating him for IPs and i guess they got to him to fast. Atleast i think thats what was wrong. I dont believe it was ich because there were no spots. He just had white stringy feces and he wasnt eating his favorite foods. But we figure he lived a longer life with us then he wouldve at that horribly pet shop. We nursed him back to health for a few months but he left us. :(

Anyways, now i have this 80gal tank with snails. A 20gal tank with snails, a 30gal tank with more snails. And a 10gal with wall to wall snails. how do i get rid of them all. I longer have a use for them and we probably wont get another puffer. Its too much. My husband and i both work to much.

Sometime after xmas I was to do an amazonian style tank. Don't know what kind of fish/plants etc. I know I'll have to upgrade my lighting system.

Oh one more thing....since the tank is sitting at about 1.006 for salinity. To get the salt out, do i just do a complete tear down? I've read some where else that once a tank has salt its impossibly to go back to fresh. Is this true?

Sorry for your loss. As far as snails go, just try to clear as much out by hand as visibly possible. You won't get them all, but you can try clown loaches or other loaches. They like to eat snails. Unfortunately, I don't think that'll take care of the snail problem, but that'll help keep them down. Is there a reason why you have so many tanks set up? Were you just using them for growing snails? As far as salt in the tanks go. You can get it back to freshwater without breaking it down completely. It'll take some time. Just do a lot of water changes. The salt is dissolved into the water so the more water you take out and fresh water you add it, the salt level will gradually lower until theres next to nothing in the tank.

If there's no fish in the tank, just stop feeding and the snails should eventually die out. To get the salt out, I would just drain and fill with a python once or twice.

--Adeeb

thanks for the help.
the reason why there are snails all over the place is because when we first go Verde we had him in the 80gal but moved him into the 20 because he started to eat my other fishies (stupid me lol). the 20gal was a temp home until the 30gal was ready. thats why those tanks still have snails in them. and then when i re did my 80gal (sold the fish after losing my dragon goby, tore it down and restarted) after it re cycled my gsp went into the 80gal. thats why there are snails in every tank. the ones he didnt eat just bred like crazy.
oh well looks like ill be snail fishing for a long time.

yes there are other fish in them :p
<< view my tanks...the 30gal is a project on its way. quite excited for xmas to get the light for the tank.

Back
Top Bottom