another name for quarantine....?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

millipede

Aquarium Advice Addict
We've all gone into pet stores and while looking around see those horrible spots on the fish. Certain chains and bigger stores that don't have a right selling fish in the first place are the worst culprates... If you ever go into a store and see the word "quarantine" you know that they know there is sick fish in there... That is a good thing... However, I think a lot of people freak out when they see a sign like that. "Oh, they have sick fish".... Quarantining a tank is a good thing but it might scare a few people... Sooooo I was wondering if any of you had a better suggestion to let people know the fish were being treated and they weren't for sale without scaring people off.... Any ideas......

Around here they lower the water in the tank about 1" and put an X on it that way you know its not for sale (Q tank)

Totally, a big X marks the spot.

Unfortunaty I think if a person doesn't think fish in a store should get sick makes me think they wouldn't take care of them thinking they are an ornament they can put on a shelf and forget about. :roll:
Chris

My LFS will put a piece of card above the tank to stop the flourescent light shining in (3 small tanks per 1 light) and put a card saying "the fish in this tank are currently undergoing treatment and are not for sale" it does not frighten anyone off of them.

At least they have the courtesy to quarantine fish, my other LFS does not Q fish and will quite happily sell livestock out of a diseased tank, (some people are stupid for buying out of tanks with dead fish in though, which they do). When they die you gotta buy more right? if your whole tank dies then you gotta buy even more! (they would probably put it down to water quality or something.

I have heard a rumor that they sold gravel that wiped out a whole community tank, no idea if theres any truth behind it or if it really was the gravel, makes you think though

quarantine.....

Yeah, people come into our store all the time and ask why their fish died. We ask where they bought them and they mention they got them at walmart... or they buy from us and then bring walmart fish into the tank as well... I buy my gas and groceries at walmart because they are cheap... but most good things don't come cheap...... Anyway... Thanks for the ideas...

They don't even sell fish at walmart here lol.
they do however have supplies but they are low pro supplies, I buy Algae wafers there because they cost way less there, they sell the same brand at the lfs for double the cost.
I did however have a 10 gallon tank from Walmart that shattered :? in no time at all learned from that. :wink:

Chris

When my parents go down to the States they say they always Camp out in the Walmart parking Lot lol.
Is that Common in Walmart Parking lots in the US?

Chris

Back
Top Bottom