Another question about test kits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimberly

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was at the lfs today, looking at the test kits. As I examined the fw master test kit I noticed that it really seemed to be the same as my husband's sw test kit. Is there a big difference b/w the two? Can I use his sw kit to test my fw?

So far all of my tests have been done by the lfs, and they have all been "perfect". I actually don't mind going to the lfs often, the kids have a great time looking at all of the animals, but I probably should invest in a kit soon. I am still considering the strip tests, but since I am now doing husband's sw testing with the master test kit, I might as well just do mine that way, too.

Thanks,
Kimberly
58 gal planted
8 orange von rio tetras
6 fancy tail guppies
3 clown loaches

Normally the only diffence is the range of the PH test.. If you have higher than 7.6 ph
you would be fine with the general SW test kit. Strip test kits are not very accurate range wise, I wouldnt suggest getting a strip test kit personally..

Salwater kits are similar to freshwater kits. As GM said, I wouldn't suggest the strips. They are not very accurate and are way too expensive. The Aquarium Pharm Freshwater Master Test kit cost $20 after shipping online. With 700 uses, it will cost $.03 per test. The Jungle Complete Test Strips cost $25 after shipping online for 25 Ammonia strips and 25 of the other test. With 50 uses, it would cost $.50 per test.

I would think that you could use the AP saltwater test kit as long as you had the cards for the FW. For example, when I bought a separate AP ammonia test kit, it had cards for both SW and FW tanks. The colors are a little different. So, if you have the cards, go for it.

Back
Top Bottom