Another quick question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redfisher1139

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have found me a deal on a 40 breeder with hood and lamp, and was wondering if I used the same gravel, decorations, filters, and filter media from my 30g (there is enough filtration for the 40b), and part of the water from the 30g (which is established) will it still need to cycle, or is this a rare instance where it should be ready to go instantly, as to me it would be just like doing a PWC?

I wouldn't say instantly. Maybe a cycle of a day or two? But, if you are transferring everything over, from what I understand, you should just have a mini cycle and then be good to go. But, this is just my understanding.

ok thanks. I have a cycled 20g I could hold the fish in for 24 hours or so, but the problem there is the 2 Kenyi Cichlids might get a bit pissed off. Speaking of which, if there is anyone in the Orlando area who wants a male and a female Kenyi, let me know. You can have them.

If you move and use the same substrate and filter media you will most probably be okay but Crazylady is right, you could have a minicycle.

If you do decide to move filter & substrate to the 40B, make sure you don't clean either one just before or during the transfer.

Even if you keep your tank sqeaky clean, the water is liable to look aweful the first 24 hours or so after the transfer. Let the filter clean it up.

If you really want to play it safe, use the 20 for several days and test the 40 everyday for a week or so to be sure it isn't going to cycle.

I did as you asked about many, many times with no minicycles at all. Then last summer I did it and the tank cycled and I'm not sure why.

So just use good sense.

I wish I could take those cichlids off your hands :)

+1

If you are moving the filter to the 40gB from the 30g, Make sure it has enough GPH to support the 40 (400-400+ GPH). IF you dont have enough, I advise to add a filter to make the GPH high enough to support the 40.

Tyler

If the 30g is established, you should see very little cycle if any when you switch everything over to the 40B.

Back
Top Bottom