Another Rock ID please...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alshain

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ok since the marble was a bust... these are available at lowes, I think I could build a decent terrace out of them. Can anyone identify them?

Last edited:
Thanks! I think I can make a nice terrace, but I wanted to make a cave, not sure I can do that without finding some kind of top.

yeah, but this bag of quartzite is a fraction of the cost of one ornament/piece sold at petsmart.

my fish love this rock, and it cost me 6 bucks at petco, also looks great

heres a pic
img_701478_0_206a3f123bd55a4492eb8670c0c010a1.jpg

the problem is the selection if very limited at the petco/petsmart places. I'm still trying to find a good landscape place in the seattle region that has a nice selection of rock.

Of course, if you favor the look of the rocks at petco I suppose you're set.

i just happened to find this rock, they get differnt variations of the rocks. this was the onyl one i liked.

I'm looking to do a terracing effect, I need lots of small rocks that I can piece together, not one big one. Unfortunately, lowes website doesn't know as much as it thinks, they didn't have the quartzite. So I'm still searching for something I can use, but I'm about to give up and just put my driftwood in and nothing else.

Here's an idea: Get a piece of plexi for your top & silicone rocks on top/front to hide it. This will be structurally sound, but I am not sure if the look is right (small pebbles don't form caves on their own!)

You can use driftwood & rocks too. Get a flatish one & prop up one end (that'll be your top), pile rocks behind & you should have a more natural looking hiding place.

The problem is, I can't find the rocks. I never realized finding rocks was so difficult.

If you have a Lowes / HD or landscaping place you should be able to find slate floor tiles ... hit them with a sledge hammer & you have the rocks!

Floor tiles are expensive tho ($5 pre square feet & up). Most landscaping places will have outdoor slate patio stones that is much cheaper - sometimes you will be able to get the broken ones for free!

Back
Top Bottom