Another Switching to Sand Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiFanatic

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've been toying with the idea of switching to sand for a while now, but still have some concerns.

I'm worried about the cycle crashing once the gravel has been removed and fresh sand has been placed in. I'm really nervous about losing fish during the process. Is this a valid concern or will the other decor and filter media be able to add the good bacteria to the sand rather quickly?

I'm also concerned about what the sand will do to my filter. I know I need to shut the filter down while I'm adding sand and until it settles, but when the bottom feeders are burrowing and kicking sand up, won't it end up going into the filter intake tube? I obviously don't want to have to keep replacing my filter. Do you put a piece of nylon over the intake tube permanently? Doesn't it effect the rate of water flow going into the tube?

If and when I do go with sand, here's the process of switching as I understand it along with some questions. Does this all sound right?

1- Fill up a large rubbermaid bin with water and place the fish along with an airstone (bubble wall) and heater inside.

2- Drain the tank and remove the gravel.

3- Thoroughly clean the bottom of the tank to make sure no gravel pieces are left behind (might as well scrub the algae as well).

4- Put thoroughly rinsed sand (probably play sand or pool filter sand - is one better than the other?) in.

5- Start putting old tank water and fresh water (as if I'm doing a PWC) back into the tank until it's full.

6- Wait several hours until the sand has settled, turn the filter back on, put the heater, air stone (bubble wall), and other decor back in followed by the fish. How long does it usually take until the sand has REALLY settled and the water is clear again?

Last question, I just updated my signature to include all of the fish I currently have in this tank. Is there any reason why I should NOT switch to sand for the safety of these fish? The reason I ask is because I have a bearded dragon lizard who should not be kept in sand because it could cause impaction. I know fish are clearly different than reptiles, but I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking something stupid... something stupid to me that is!

Back
Top Bottom