Another tank and what should I put in it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HOLLIEO

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just picked up a tank from my sis that she wasen't using. The tank is a glass hex with top/light. By the calculations on this site, I think it might be 7 gallons, but my sister says she thinks it is a 5 gallon. So, we know we have between 5 and 7 gallons to work with. :lol:
I am planning to stick it on my desk. I am not sure what to put in it?
I still have to cycle the water, but it doesn't have a filter. Should I get a filter? She housed a Betta in it for 5 years and only had the light and no filter. I don't want something that needs a heater. So, any suggestions on where to go from here??? Thanks!! :wink:

Damn HOLLIEO; you've as bad a case of MTS as me LOL

Hrmm..small tank and unheated. How about a small school of White Clouds? Found this on the krib faq:

White Cloud Mountain Minnows'' - Tanichthys albonubes
Found in mountain streams in China, White Clouds can be kept in unheated tanks (down to 55F). Some people advise against putting these fish in tropical tanks but I have found that they do fine in heated aquaria as well, as long as the temperature is not kept above the mid 70s. They can be fed any small food and they spawn often but fry will not be seen unless the parents are removed to another tank. White Clouds are brown with a red tail and a silvery white line down the side that shines in the light. They get to be 1 1/2" long.

*edit*
you'll need a filter LOL

ha, ha....
Yes. I have a definate case of Multiple tank syndrome ( I am guessing that is what MTB is) :lol:
I just can't stop!!! Do they have 12 step programs for it??? ha, ha
Wow! Thanks for the info on the White Cloud Minnow. I have heard the name before, but not familiar with the fish. I can't wait!!!
Any suggestions to get this tank up and running?
Like what kind of filter, since it is such a small tank? Any plants? How many fish? How long to cycle? I am assuming to cycle like a month using the fishless or actually 'raw' shrimp method?
Thanks again Allivymar!! 10 Kudos again for being so helpful! :lol:

I've a small tank (also a hex...might be an 8g, might be 10 LOL can't figure it out). I'm using a Fluval 1+ in there; seems to work great. You'll prob have to throw a small aerator on the tank tho, as the Fluvals are cannisters.

You might be able to grow some Anubias in there; keep in mind if it gets happy you'll be doing a lot of pruning LOL

If you can get a hold of Bio-Spira, by all means buy some! You'll put it in the tank WITH the fish and poof! Instant cycle. No muss no fuss. I've been pretty impressed so far with the stuff, and will be using it to cycle my new 55g. If not, you can go fishless cycling. I know you have other tanks; you can actually seed the new tank with bacteria from one of the others one (I've done that as well).

Yep, you heard that right. New 55g. I picked it up yesterday LOL I went from that one small hex tank to: the hex, 2 10g, 1 25g and now a 55 in oh...a year? Its bad LOL I think I need that 12 step group too LOL

Allivymar said:
I went from that one small hex tank to: the hex, 2 10g, 1 25g and now a 55 in oh...a year? Its bad LOL I think I need that 12 step group too LOL

I can see myself following in your footsteps... I'm still waiting for my Eclipse 12 to cycle and I'm already thinking about what to get next. Even my husband wants a bigger tank and we don't have any fish yet!

I think our next tank will be a 46 gallon bowfront (unless I can sell him on the 72 gallon... :wink: )

White cloud mountain minnows are quite enjoyable, I have 4 parents, and many fry right now. moved some fry to other tank, they are doing well. I think 4 or so would be good in a 5 gallon hex.

Well, I am definatly going to go with the White Cloud minnow. Checked them out an I like!!!
So Allivymar, how many tanks do you have running right now??? ha, ha Yup!!! It does sound like your going through MTS!!! :lol:
But isn't it great!!!!
Oh, corvuscorax.... are the White Clouds tough fish? Could I use them while the tank goes through the cycle process or should I just wait?
I am so damn impatient!! and I know about the Bio-Spira, but my hubby won't let me buy it. So, old fashioned cycle will have to do.
I cycled my 20 gallon with Zebra Danios and they are all fine. Will the Minnows do as well?

He won't let you buy it? LOL Sneak into the store and get some; its truly worth it, not only time wise but also to your fish; really no cycle to deal with. Tell him it DOES work, and if he has any doubts to check out this thread on fishgeeks.com: http://www.fishgeeks.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=7372 . Be warned...there's 9 pages worth LOL

Heh how many tanks are up n running atm? Well...the 25g, which has my angels, clown loaches and the plec and a couple of amazon swords. We just put the water into the 55g and are setting up the filters; the guys in the 25g will move into there. I am in the middle of setting up a 10g, which currently has 2 dwarf gouramis, a few cherry shrimp (well..at least one LOL we only seem to see one at a time) and an amazon sword, a crypt and 2 marimo balls; the rest of the plants and the cardinals and corys are on order. I've a cycled 10g that DID have snails in it; I think the gouramis ate em the 2 days they spent in there while I set up the planted 10g. Oh, and a 10g thats just taking up space atm LOL

Hrmm...and now I'll have an empty 25g. SW here I come ;)

Yes. I read that thread a while back and I DO belive it really works and a store locally actually carries it. I guess they have to have a special fridge for the stuff so Petsmart and Petco don't have it at the moment (they are closer than the 'REAL' fish store). Maybe there might be some way to get over there :wink: :wink:
I can't wait!!!
So, you are gonna go Saltwater? I would love to do that. There are some really beautiful (and expensive :lol: ) fish to house having salt water.
I don't think I am ready yet..... just give me a month or two.. ha, ha

Allivymar, Tanks for the suggestion on the White Cloud Minnows!
I got some and put them in my tank on wednesday. They are perfect.. just what I was looking for the tank on my desk.
I know I didn't completely cycle my tank, but I did use substrate and some decorations from a tank that has already set up. Oh, and I am using Arrowhead water, so hopefully all will be fine.
My current levels are:
PH 7.2
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20
Ammonia .5
Does this seem okay?
Oh, and the water is room temperature.Feels like somewhere in the 75 range???

For white clouds try to keep it in the low 70's if possible. They are a cold water fish and thrive best in cooler waters.

They are great fish, and very colourful as well. I love mine.

Back
Top Bottom