Another tank - another question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stuquarium

Aquarium Advice Activist
hi guys,
since a bit of a clean out i've actually got a spare 4ft tank, i tried to sell it on ebay, but no one wanted it. so i've decided to keep it and set up up as a cichlid tank, the question is.. what breed?

its 55g - 4ft long,

it''ll have a sand substrate, moderate lighting and mostly rock i think.

i'd like to try breeding some cichlids but i dont know what's easiest. i;ve only kept peaceful cichlids before.

i'm thinking, african, oscars, or lake malawi..

how many oscars could i put in a 55g? or peacocks? any other brees that would suit a 55g tank ?

you could do 1 oscar in a 55 I belive. um, for other stuff, maybe a small colony of the Malwai(I think) chiclids, like Yellow Labs. If you want to breed, go with convicts.

thats a great site!

i'm looking at a mbuna communty,
so far i want
6 x red zebra (2 male)
3x eletric yellows (1 male) (i could go for 6 of these too)

according to that site i can only pick 3 species fomr the mbuna, so i;ve picked 6 of the 2 i like the most..

i hope my LFS has the red zebra's they are beautiful fish!

You can have more than 3 species. Just be sure that they are all Mbuna and have the same temperment. For example, the Auratus is out. The Red Zebras are pretty cool, we have a female. There are two variations of the Red Zebra. The Maylandia Estherae and Maylandia Estherae Blue/Red They are pretty much peaceful, and so are the yellow labs. You could have 6 of the Red Zebras (2M, 4F) and 6 Labs (2M, 4F). Acei's also make good tankmates.

How about green terrors? Would a pair work in a 55G? And if so, is there another fish that could go in with them?

In that case, a suggested stocking option: 4 Red Zebras (1M, 3F), 4 Labs (1M, 3F), and 4 Acei's (1M, 3F). Then of course a dwarf pleco and you're all set. I wouldn't add a higher number of fish besides the numbers listed until the tank is stocked and you can see whether more fish is advisable. Plus, you may have fry which will ultimately stock itself. :D Just be sure you have plenty of rockwork and hiding places and you're all set.

Glad I could help, I love Africans. Sounds like you are definately on your way! I can't wait to see pics once you have the fish. :D And its great that you are cycling before adding fish. Which method are you using for cycling?

cycling i use a fish, i use a paradise fish i bought a long time ago, and he has cycled all my tanks for me, he's a trooper.

i will be sure to add pics onces its up and running

Back
Top Bottom