Another UGF question. What would you do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

targaboy78

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi gang,

I just purchased a 30g "swim-through" tank with all the fixin's.
(Just to help you picture it in your mind. Imagine two 15g tanks, up-on-end, side-by-side about 8 inches apart, with two 6 inch tubes connecting them. So the fishies can swim-through to the other side).

This package came with Air pump, UnderGravel Filter plates, Fluval 4 internal filter, gravel, plastic plant and other nick-nacks.

Because the tank is basically two tanks, I want to ensure both sides get the necessary filtration. I already have a new Fluval 304 canister filter, that I was planning to use.

I am planning a community tank with some live plants, plastic plants, driftwood and possibly other decorations.
My filtration questions start here.
:?: Would you run the UGFs with the Air Pump, or would you hookup the UGFs with small powerheads and run them as a reverse flow setup?
:?: Would you forget the UGFs and just run the Fluval 304?
:?: Would you do both UGFs and Fluval 304?
:?: Would you get splitters for the Fluval 304s intake and output hoses, so that you could put 1 intake and 1 output in each half of the tank? (Can that even be done?)

I am sorry about the barrage of questions, but I have been wrestling with these options since last night and I can't make up my mind.

filter

If I used the UGF at all, I would definitely run it reverse. My first thought, as I was reading your post, was to split the intake/output of the Fluval. I wonder though, how well it would work to have the intake in one tank and the output in the other. That would guarantee flow through the tubes. I think it would work either way. JMHO :).
Logan J

Hi loganj,

That's a cool idea you suggested;
have the intake in one tank and the output in the other. That would guarantee flow through the tubes.
Since my original post, I had also found some people that said they run their UGFs in reverse but instead of using powerheads to pump the water, they use the output of their canister filter.

8O Wow, there are ton's of options presenting themselves.

Right now, if I had to weigh the pros and cons, I think going it with the Fluval alone seems to be leading.

But I am still open to suggestions.

filter

That's an interesting idea...using the output from the canister to reverse feed the UGF. I wonder though, how much reduction in flow through the canister will you see due to the increased back pressure? If it was me, I think I'd go with the canister alone...with either of the flow patterns and donate the UGF to the museum. I'm just not a big fan of UGF's. It's not that they don't work because they do. I feel that there are better options available that will do the job with less headaches.
Logan J

I dont like under gravel filters because the suck all the S$%@ to the bottom of that tank and it stays there. Other filters have cleanable media so the s$%@ gets out of the system.

I wouldn't really say undergravel filters are shi*, you say that they attract all of the muck to the bottom of the tank, but it's better than all of the muck being stuck in the gravel, surely ?

I've just brought one for my 45gallon, will be setting it up soon. They also add a bit more flow to the tank, but still, thats just my HO. :)

UGF's

Well, here's my 2 cents on UGF's. If you run them in the traditional manner, you eventually get a large amount of mulm under the filter plate which clogs the plate. When this happens, there isn't much alternative but to remove the substrate and clean the filter plate. Also, the gravel can become excessively dirty. Now, if you run the UGF reverse with a FILTERED powerhead, you don't have this problem and the gravel bed stays clean and well oxygenated. But, I still think there are options available that have less potential for trouble and will do the job just as well. As always...JMHO :) .
Logan J

For me... and I'm still a newb, but I'll add my $.02 anyways...

I like the idea of input in one tank, output in the other. That way you've got flow and probably plenty of filtration? I have a Fluval 303 running my 55 gallon and it's enough.

For UGF - I was running one, but when it was on my fish were agitated and generally ornery. When I turned it off, they instantly got happy and playful. It's easily observable whenever I mess with that, so for me no UGF. I like the reverse idea with the filtered powerhead though...

Instead of the UGF I'm running two bubble wands in the back of the tank off my air pump, and the fish seem to like that.

JMVHO.

:D

Thanks to everyone for the input.

Since my initial post, I've been doing more research on the Internet and this topic is apparently quite actively debated. There are the firm faithful believers and then there is the anti-UGF crowd.

From everything I read, my opinion has swayed to the "I think they are more trouble than they are worth" crowd. If I was made to use one, I would go "reverse-flow" but I read all sorts of comments about live plants getting their roots all tangled up in the grates.

I will go with the Fluval, with the intake on one side and the output on the other. I'll post an update in a couple of weeks just to let you know how it worked out.

Thanks again folks.

UGF

Grant,
If you've already purchased the UGF and want to use it, I'd just get a PH with a sponge filter and run the UGF reverse. The sponge will catch the trash before it gets under the plate. You'll still have the advantage of a well oxygenated gravel bed without the headache of mulm buildup under the plate. This will also keep stuff from settling into the gravel as the water flow will be coming up through the gravel bed. Another trick with UGF's is to occasionally pull the PH off and run a piece of airline tubing down the tube and under the plate. You can siphon off any mulm that has built up under there that way. It's kind of tedious though. I guess I'm just lazy...I like to stick in a clean cartridge and go :) .
Logan J

Thanks LoganJ, all just sounds a bit tedious though and from what everyone has said overall, they sound like more hassle than they're worth.
When it comes to it, I'll examine it all, read instructions etc, then make a decision.

G

Back
Top Bottom