Another Water Test and Another Concern.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquariumFreak

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well yesterday I did a 25gal water change, 1/2 with normal tap water that sat for 24 hours and the other 1/2 with RO water.

Here are the results:
Ammonia: .50
Phosphate: .05
pH: 7.0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
dKH: 8
dGH: 10
CO2: 24ppm

Well my concern is the Ammonia, I thought after doing a 25gal water change that would be 0. Do I want to do another water change right away or do I wait a day?

I'm hoping to get my ferts in this week so I'm hoping that will help. Also I have noticed that I am getting a nice coat of slime algae on my glosso, how do I get rid of this?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

Your tank is probably begining a mild first ammonia cycle. No sweat. It has to happen to build up the nitrifying bacteria colonies. It will take some time. First the Ammonia, then the nitrites, then the nitrates. It will be much slower and less stressful on the fish with all your plants. I think some folks with heavily planted tanks never experience a true ammonia "spike", which precedes the next two nitrogen spikes.

Over feeding of fish can lead to Amon build up as well.

What exactly does this algae look like on the Glosso?

Best I can recall you recently added a huge and various cleanup crew.

Perhaps the cleanup crew is eating all the uneaten food off the bottum from overfeeding, rather than scavanging and cleaning the tank. Why go out and work, when your being spoon feed?

Back
Top Bottom