Another worm question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robotwizard

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey I just found (and removed) a worm in my tank, I read through the forum and found some posts about people finding small white worms in their tanks which are nematodes. But the worm I found was red and about 2 inches long (I'm an ecology student and it looked just like some of the invertebrates we get from stream-bed sampling). It probably is a nematode as well but I just want to make sure its not a bad thing. The fish seem fine.

There are several things you could look for, deformity in the fish, abdominal swelling and general lethargy.
There are over 5,000 species of parasitic nemitodes
they are normally white in colour, but they can be seen red if they have been feeding of the blood of the fish.They feed on the blood of the fish in the intestines and then leave the fish via it's anus. The one most often found in aquaria is Camallanus cotti.

This might not be what you have, but i found this HTH.

Good luck in finding out what it is, someone is sure to find out for you on here.

Yuck.

LOL Hiya and welcome to Aquariumadvice robotwizard!

I haven't the vaguest idea what a RED worm might be (its definitely a worm and not some sort of larvae?). There is a nematode webpage with more info then I can get thru; maybe you can find out what is is there: http://nematode.unl.edu/

Good luck and let us know if you come up with anything.

Back
Top Bottom