Anubias Nana

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anubias nana is an easy low-light rhizome plant. It's dark green with oval-shaped leaves that come to a point. Attach it to driftwood or rocks. The rhizome won't do well if buried.

I added one to my 29g a few months ago. Here's the pertinent tank info: Two 18W 6500K CFLs, Flourish dosed every water change. The plant is near the top of the tank directly underneath one of the lights. I simply stuck the rhizome in a hole in the end of the driftwood. The leaves all turned to face the light and it's now firmly attached to the wood. The plants is now sending a long green root or runner down the side of the driftwood. The root/runner is about 12" long and I'm really hoping it's a runner that will sprout another plant. I like it and will be adding more anubias to my aquariums in the future.

Great plant, easy to keep, SLOW grower.

I buried mine in the gravel and it is doing quite nicely.

By "doing quite nicely", can you ellaborate? How long have you had it buried?

I wouldn't recommend burying the rhizome. They will eventually die and rot.

By "doing quite nicely", can you ellaborate? How long have you had it buried?

I wouldn't recommend burying the rhizome. They will eventually die and rot.

I have gravel that, I guess, averages 5mm and my anubias does well. The roots look strong. It is kinda slow but, so far in the past 2 months it seems to be the healthiest, in my tank, anyway.

(I gotta get something finer for my cory, Little Mister)

It is absolutely imperative that the rhizome is above the substrate. they grow well when planted in substrate, although they are slow growers. A plant that is very hard to kill.

Rhizomes can survive if they're buried just below the surface, but I still don't recommend burying them. It's really easy to get a small piece of lava rock for the plant.

I agree with what the others have said about the rhizomes.. keep them above the substrate. I have two small portions I got from someone on here about a year ago. It has probably doubled in size from then till now. If you have higher light give them some shade to keep the algae off them. They are EXTREMELY slow growers. Don't expect to be trimming them anytime soon.

Anubias are extremely slow growers. They should be tied to a rock or driftwood, or if buried, the rhizome should remain above the substrate.

They are quite undemanding, and I would recommend them along with java ferns and moss for an aquarist who wants to plant them and forget them.

They're quite nice looking IMO. To be honest they do best in lower-light tanks without CO2 as they can be outcompeted for nutrients by faster-growing plants.

Edit: This is what happens when you type a post at night, and submit it the next day :lol: You just parrot everyone else.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom