Any advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luv4bettas

Aquarium Advice Activist
Welllll..... I need help again... I have this aquarium set up and ready for a fish! It has live plants, substrate, filter, and the water is already conditioned and has been filter for 3 days. So i Ned to know a fish I can put in. I will be getting this really cool filter soon but for right now I have to use my old one. It has a new cartridge already. So what I need to know is if my filter burns out, I need a fish that will last about three days to a week without a filter. The filter is coming in the mail and should be here by next Wednesday. Although my old filter should be good enough until I get my new filter. But I want to be more safe than sorry. I will be getting a Penn Plax Cascade Canister Filter. so is there any fish I could get? (I ordered fast shipping so it should be here by either Thursday - Saturday)
Please note this is a ten gallon tank.
Luv4bettas :fish2:

Instead of rushing into things how about trying a fishless cycle? If you dont trust your filter to last until the new one gets here it would honestly be best to wait for fish.

Yeah, I agree with mebbid. I tried a cycle with fish (due to the advice one of my LFS employees gave me) this was a ten gallon tank too, ended up having 3 dead guppies by the next 2 weeks. Never rush an aquarium, it will almost ALWAYS end up badly

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

It has been cycled and my local pet store was having a sale on their fish for a couple of days and most of the money was going towards a good cause so I wanted to help them out

Luv4bettas

One other thing, you mentioned a "new cartridge" you do know youre not supposed to change those right?

The filter has been in my garage for a couple of months and the old cartridge got really messed up(rats in my garage)

Luv4bettas

Erm... just to make sure we're all on the same page. What do you mean when you say you cycled your tank?

I put the fish conditioner in and I let my filter run for a couple days. Btw I put my filter in some hot (not boiling) water with some fish conditioner

Luv4bettas
Fish conditioner isnt cycling sadly. You have to grow the beneficial bacteria using an ammonia source to cycle tour tank.

Nevermind people! I am just going to quit aquarium advice if I don't get any suggestions! I HAVENT DECIDED IF I WAS ACTUALLY GOING TO PUT THE FISH IN THAT TANK YET!!!!! And plus what if my new filter is very cheesy and burns out! I mean seriously! All I wanted is for suggestions for fish! I DIDNT WANT PEOPLE TELLING ME HOW I AM A HORRIBLE FISH OWNER!!!!!!!! I do know how to filter tanks! I don't like to talk about EVERY SINGLE DETAIL ON HOW I TAKE CARE OF MY FISH!! Every one of my posts there is someone dissing my decisions! I get you don't realize how i take care of my animals, I get how you think I don't know anything, IGET IT, I GET IT, I GET IT! My motto is I think everything and anything deserves a chance to live the great life they have! So please GIVE ME SOME SUGGESTIONS!!!

Luv4bettas

Wow, touchy much? Nobody was "dissing" your decisions. We were trying to be thorough and help prevent any catastrophic losses to your fish. If you had any idea how often we see people come here and say they "cycled" their tank by filling it with water and letting the filter run for a day followed by a full stocking of fish and them wondering why they all died... you would understand exactly why we were being thorough.

As for a fish, get a betta.

I have been taking care of fish for more than 10 years. Sorry I got a little mad but thank you for the advice, but I already know all of that.i wanted to make it a community tank so do you know any fish that will go with a betta (besides guppies and other fish with large floral fins)

Luv4bettas

I kept cardinal tetras and panda corys with my betta very successfully. Neons dont quite fit in the temp range for bettas tho. Another good fish is harlequin rasboras.

Thanks. Also I found ADFs are good pets too. So I could probably get two of those two because I read that they do not need filters if they have plants so this should not be a worry for me

Luv4bettas

Thanks. Also I found ADFs are good pets too. So I could probably get two of those two because I read that they do not need filters if they have plants so this should not be a worry for me

Luv4bettas
I wouldnt say that, ammonia will kill adfs just like it will fish. But yeah, those would work as well.

If your tank isn't cycled, you can proceed as usual since having no filter for a few days isn't going to make much difference. Until the cycle gets started, you'll still have to change about the same amount of water to remove ammonia whether it's being filtered or not. If you're doing a fish-in cycle, first figure out a stocking plan, then add one, maybe two small fish with a small bioload to start your cycle. I would add the betta last to reduce the chances of territorial behavior. Dwarf corydoras (hastatus, habrosus, or pygmaeus) are a good choice as betta tankmates in a 10-gallon.

I should add that dwarf cories aren't really the best choice for a fish-in cycle. They'll die fairly quickly if exposed to ammonia or nitrite, but if you diligently test your water and change water accordingly, they'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom