any BGK owners?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Hiya --

I got a baby 3 inch BGK today. I couldn't resist. He has the cutest little puppy dog face.

Anyway, He and two angelfish (a pair i hope, they have paired off) will be moving into my 40 gallon tank in 2 weeks.

I know they get relatively large, but with only 3 fish, I think they will be alright in a 40.

Anyway, i'd appreciate any tips on keeping him happy that i can get. I purchased a clear tube for him to hide in as well.

they're a cool fish, i have one, they'll only eat frozen foods, and if you get them stuck to only one frozen food, (bloodworms for example) they will eventually refuse anything but bloodworms. frozen food is actually cheaper per ounce too.

the love to hide, make sure he has a cave, and they're nocturnal too. and its not uncommon to see mine swimming backwards, upside down, or on his side, so dont assume hes sick.

ohh and dont put him with any other electrical fish, other BGKs, elephant noses, baby whales... because they'll fight and kill each other, (electrical signals get screwed up)

and yes theres actually a fish called a baby whale...

sorry if i was kinda choppy

he has a cave and a clear tube. i feed all my fish a varied diet including bloodworms, krill (finely chopped up), flakes, pellets, wafers (algae and feeder), brine shrimp (frozen and freshly hatched babies) veggies (but they only ever eat the peas and sometimes fresh garlic), daphnia, and spirulina (assume frozen for all "live" foods and spirulina)

I am sure he will get lots of variety =)

will he be ok with angels?

And does he have any "special" needs other than hiding spots?

clean water is a biggie, not discus clean, but they are sensetive when their young

umm depends on the BGK some get along great, anothers, just love to nip at the angels fins.

if your angels are big enough, and aggressive enough, the BGK will leave them alone

You should also watch the angels. They might nip at the BGK. If you angels are a pair they may get really aggressive toward I. I heard you can tame them to eat from you hand.

I keep mine in a 20 gallon tank at the moment and hes about 6 inches long...seems very happy...he eats mostly flake food thou...ummm, most times he swimming about the tank foraging or sometimes just idling at a corner swimming vertical,guess its just his fetish...downside is the dojo loach is kinda territorial and sort of chases the bgk every so often, but most times they're buddies...bgk are great pets mate and good luck with yours!

Keep in mind that BGK's are known to get up to 18" long. I can't say I've ever owned a 40 gal tank, but my 55gal was only 12" wide, and thus not a suitable permanent home for him. I ended up buying a 125gal, then getting a BGK.

had mine for about a month now. great addition to any aquarium. mine eats bloodworms and brineshrimp and loves smaller earthworms. it's pretty amazing to watch him eat live worms. i put the worm on the opposite side of the aquarium and within seconds he is out of his cave and sucking up the worm.

evercl92 said:
Keep in mind that BGK's are known to get up to 18" long. I can't say I've ever owned a 40 gal tank, but my 55gal was only 12" wide, and thus not a suitable permanent home for him. I ended up buying a 125gal, then getting a BGK.

isnt a 125g the same width as a 55g?

i assuming you bought the tank not just for the BGK, they grow very slowly, it would take at least a decade for them to get that big. and they also rarely peak 12" in aquariums

infact i dont think ive seen a BGK over 8" and ive googled many times...

Back
Top Bottom