any blue freshwater tropical fish that are peaceful?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XxshaggyxX

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just had to get rid of my opaline gourami because he wouldn't leave my new angels alone, I was afraid he would eventually kill them. Are there any tropical community tank fish with a really beautiful blue color that would be compatible in my tank

-55 gallon
-9 zebra Danios
-3 angels (1 gold 2 marble)
-1 stripped Raphael catfish
-2 swordtails (1m 1f)
-2 platys (both female)

Thanks =)

XxshaggyxX said:
Just had to get rid of my opaline gourami because he wouldn't leave my new angels alone, I was afraid he would eventually kill them. Are there any tropical community tank fish with a really beautiful blue color that would be compatible in my tank

-55 gallon
-9 zebra Danios
-3 angels (1 gold 2 marble)
-1 stripped Raphael catfish
-2 swordtails (1m 1f)
-2 platys (both female)

Thanks =)

Maybe 3 male blue guppeis

That would be cool! Would the angels eat the guppys once they got a little larger?

I have 2 blue gourami and they never bother my angels. Sorry about ur luck.

XxshaggyxX said:
That would be cool! Would the angels eat the guppys once they got a little larger?

Maybe
Depends on the angel and if you have lots of hiding spots

This is a killies and he's not agressive he shouldn't cost too much he's got some blue in him

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120608_162520.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120608_162520.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 207
It's going to be hit or miss with anything and the angels, you will need something sturdy enough to withstand the punishment from the angels but also not nip at the long flowing fins. I would suggest maybe cardinal or neon tetras, maybe pygmy sunfish (the males have an especially bright blue color) but need lots of hiding spots.

Thanks everyone, I like the blue platys and the tetras, I've got maybe 6 artificial plants 8" or taller, a hollow log decoration maybe 12" long 5"in diameter, and a little cave looking rock thats up against the back of the tank maybe 13" long and 6" high. I'll definitely add more nooks and crevices and such if I have to. Think i'm gonna track me down some blue platys and see how it works out =)

I have wild green neon tetra, do a quick google for pics, but they are very blue when healthy, regardless of the name, you can have a largish school as they only get to around 1",1.5" at most but that would be a large one. They look awesome when swimming and playing in groups.

Nomadu571 said:
I have wild green neon tetra, do a quick google for pics, but they are very blue when healthy, regardless of the name, you can have a largish school as they only get to around 1",1.5" at most but that would be a large one. They look awesome when swimming and playing in groups.

+1 on this I have a school of ten in my 29 gallon 50% + planted tank and I absolutely love them. Very Blue and blue green depending on the angle/light. No red in these guys like there is in cardinals and regular neons.

I'm gonna go in the morning and try and find some of these suggestions, those green neon tetras look awesome too. The Petland I've been going to just got some more fish in today I think, so maybe they'll have some good choices. Thanks a bunch everyone

^ will most likely be eaten, as angelfish are ambush predators and the max size of this species can easily fit in an adult angel's mouth.

I would recommend Melanotaenia praecox, the dwarf neon rainbow. They are a beautiful shiny blue and grow too large to become eventual prey.

Update: Added a pleco and 3 metallic blue platys, they've been in for a few days now and everyone send to be getting along great. Cheers!

Neon tetras + angel fish = food

I recently ran into an old post where someone was looking for recommendations of blue fish to add to a tank with an Angel fish. He had removed a Gourami that was bullying the angel. Several replies suggested neon or cardinal tetras as a good option. Bad idea unless your looking to up the Angel's protein intake. Even if the Angel isn't currently large enough to eat them, it will be unless you manage to kill it first.

On a tropical fish tank scale, adult Angel fish are large predatory fish. I once added neon tetras to a tank with a fairly small angel (7cm from dorsal tip to anal fin tip). They were like popcorn. After he started eating them it became a race to see who could catch them faster. He was better than me: I saved 3 out of 10.

The moral of the story is: unless you intend to feed your fish to each other - and that is probably not what someone adding neon tetras to their tank is thinking, since there are much cheaper feeder fish - then consider the size and predatory tendencies of the adult fish.

I had a similar non-fish story from my brother about a dwarf African frog he foolishly added to his aquarium. These are predators - period. Nearly all species of frogs will eat anything they can fit in their mouth, which you might notice is about as big as they are. Eventually he noticed fish under 4cm in length disappearing. He then noticed the frog was looking kind of bloated. Paying attention now, he finally saw a fish about the same size as the frog get eaten. I was in a lab once that studied the larger more aggressive African frogs. They would routinely eat each siblings that they outgrew. With most aquatic animals that will take life prey, if it can fit it in the mouth it can eat it. Frogs just happen to be mostly mouth.

In summary: always, always, always know as much as you can about anything you add to your tank - unless your intent is to see nature take its course.

Adult glo tetras

Most angels wouldn't be large enough to take down an adult black skirt tetra or similar (such as a genetically modified glo fish tetra). So I'm not surprised you haven't had problems. I didn't even know angels would eat fish for ten years of keeping them.

I did have a female angel in my 55 gallon tank get to about 7 inches long. She was very deep bodied. She would sometimes take down feeder goldfish intended for other fish that were similar in size to an adult black skirt tetra. Like I said, just stay aware of the size difference, especially when adding juveniles. Your angel may surprise you someday.

Back
Top Bottom