Any community cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfan88

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does anyone know of any cichlids that would be ok with small schooling fish or other community fish? I'm torn between a cichlid tank and a community tank, so I was thinking maybe I could mix it up a bit?

Rams will become territorial when breeding. They also tend to stay at the bottom of the tank, so any type of smaller, faster, top level fish are fine with rams and apistos. Angels are a good cichlid keep in a community tank. You can keep them with gourami, cories, and rainbows. There are several new world/ South American cichlids that are compatible together. Angel, Severum, keyhole, festivum, geophagus, rainbow, blue acara, rams... Might be a couple other I'm forgetting.

I would like to get a couple of blue rams and as many schooling fish as I can do without overstocking the tank... Is it easy to tell the gender of a blue ram? Also, how big will they get, and how big is their bioload?

Usually the females have more red on there bellies, and more rounded fins. Males will have dark coloration around their faces, and more pointy fins.

Rams have a medium to low bio load. In a 55 gallon you could have 2 rams and 15-20 neons. Or 10 neons and 10 cory cats.

Rams have a medium to low bio load. In a 55 gallon you could have 2 rams and 15-20 neons. Or 10 neons and 10 cory cats.

thanks for the info about telling the gender :) I was thinking of getting harlequin rasboras and some other schooling fish. How many gallons do you think the two rams would take up? (so I know how many I have to split between whatever other fish I get, depending on the size and bioload)

Can anyone compare a GBR bioload to a platy bioload? Just so I can get an idea of what you mean by "medium to low" bioload. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom