Any freshwater innovations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jack

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've kept reef tanks for the last 7 years or so. I kept freshwater for a couple of years before that. Due to the lack of time I now have to spend on the hobby, I'm selling my reef livestock and hardware and going back to freshwater. I obviously know a lot more about keeping aquariums now, than I did before I started reef keeping. However, I know very little regarding innovations in freshwater fishkeeping. I'm not even sure what fish/livestock I want to keep.

I have a standard 75 gal tank and will likely use a wet/dry filter with a pad for mechanical filtration. Specific questions:

1) Do folks recommend bioballs, biobale, or some other type of media in the wet/dry?

2) Lighting. I don't think I'm interested in a planted tank right now. I believe I'm most interested in subdued, natural looking lighting; but obviously want to keep good coloration of tank inhabitants. Any ideas?

3) Livestock. I've always liked something "different". I'm interested in africans for coloration, but also discus for color and challenge (I know these don't go together). I don't mind keeping something that is traditionally difficult to keep, I just don't want something that will be overly laborious (for instance something that requires live food three times per day). Any thoughts?

4) Water. I am keeping my RO/DI unit. Do freshwater folks typically use tap for the added nutrients, or RO or DI for near perfect water quality and for the elimination of phosphates, silicates and such that promote unwanted algae?

5) Aquascaping. Aquascaping in a reef tank tank is merely arranging a tank full of rock to your liking. I'm interested in a natural look. I don't really like backdrops, but to see completely through a tank isn't so appealing, either (unless it is in the center of a room or something). In my reef tank, I only clean the front glass. The back and sides are covered with coralline algae, xenia and polyps. Of course the rock covers most of the back of the tank. Any suggestions related to aquascaping?

Any other thoughts/suggestions and/or innovations would be greatly appreciated.

Jack,
I'll try to answer these questions in the order they were asked.
1) Bioballs are fine. Cellpore might also be something you'd want to look at. My personal preference for FW are Bio Wheels. If you already have the sump/wetdry, use it by all means. If you're going to have to buy new equipment, check into a canister filter (Fluval, Eheim, Filstar) with a Pro 60 Bio Wheel setup. They really work great.
2) On a 75 gal tank, I'd go with a twin bulb strip with 2 40 watt 5000k bulbs. These will give the "sunlight" look. If you prefer some whiter light, you might replace one or both with a 6500k light. Both of these bulbs are available from Home Depot. The aquarium and plant bulbs are heavy in red light and seem to give a pinkish tint to the tank.
3) I like the Africans. They are colorful and tough. Their only special requirement is hard water with a pH of about 8.2. Discus are harder to keep and require just the opposite water...soft and pH about 6.5. They benefit from frequent water changes also. Some breeders change water every day. Others even have a drip system that constantly changes water.
4) For discus, I would definitely use the RO/DI unit. Just make sure to use a buffer to bring the water chemistry in line. I think Kent and Seachem make additives just for Discus. For Africans, you could use the wastewater from the RO unit. I don't know what kind of water you have. I have well water and Africans have always thrived in it with some extra buffer added to bring up the pH. Beware of the dreaded MTS (multiple tank syndrome)...sounds like Jack may end up with a Discus tank and an African Cichlid tank here :twisted: .
5) As to the backdrops, I usually use either a solid blue or black back drop on my tanks. Africans come from a rocky, sandy environment and will enjoy a pile of rocks much like you did in your reef tank. You can use marine substrate with them. Discus will do better in a planted type tank with driftwood and a gravel substrate. You don't have to have real plants. The plants give the Discus a place to hide and feel secure. You can, if you're sure of the color you want, paint the back of the tank whatever color you want. I'd stay away from bright colors as I believe it stresses the fish.
Hope this helps some.
Logan J

Back
Top Bottom