Any good puffer fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-Alex24-

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 20 gallon tank with a community of 1 Plecoptera, 3 rainbow fish, 1 golden algae eater, and 1 Senegal bichir. I am looking for a FULL fresh water puffer fish they will live in harmony with such a community. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

1-3 Dwarf Puffers for that size tank with plants may work. IDP's don't like to see other puffers in sight. Use plants to obstruct their line of sight. They typically will hunt around plants and may be too busy hunting to bother your other plants. They typically hover in their staked out territories and may not harass your other fish.

1-3 Dwarf Puffers for that size tank with plants may work. IDP's don't like to see other puffers in sight. Use plants to obstruct their line of sight. They typically will hunt around plants and may be too busy hunting to bother your other plants. They typically hover in their staked out territories and may not harass your other fish.

So they get irritated when they see each other? But will preset around fish eat them

So they get irritated when they see each other? But will preset around fish eat them

That is a definite yes. I only have juveniles and haven't had IDP's for very long so don't know all the particulars. They stake out territories around plants and rocks, stalking critters too small to see and snails. They don't seem to be afraid of fish that are almost large enough to eat them and tend to hold their ground. They behave as if they are poisonous to eat. :lol: I haven't seen mine bully the other fish yet.

It sounds like your tank is already heavily/overstocked as it is. Is it a common pleco? Bichirs get large as well. CAEs can be a nightmare to other fish in the tank as they get older.

Even still, dwarf puffers are tiny, they probably wouldn't do well with that other stock.

i think your tank is too small for the bichir Polypterus senegalus senegalus (Senegal Bichir) — Seriously Fish
also, the pea puffers only get to an inch, so they would probably get eaten (better off in a 5 or 10 gal), also IDP have been known to nip fins.
golden algae eaters will get territorial.
there is a slightly larger puffer (the red eye puffer) but these are hard to find, plus it's not really a community fish
hope this helps
Per

Back
Top Bottom