any good tankmates for 2.5 gallon.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spencelee10

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently moved my betta up to a 2.5 gallon from a bowl I was keeping him in (pesky petco and their fishbowls and terrible employees). I was just wondering if there are any possible tankmates for him. He seems very bored and I know 2.5 isn't much room. I was thinking maybe some endlers. I've already gone the shrimp route with ghost shrimp and the were quickly dispatched. Any help would b appreciated

Alright thanks for the speedy response. I wasn't very hopeful to b honest. I've been reading on these forums a lot the past month and was pretty sure that there wasn't much I could get. I just figured maybe some endlers or an adf. Thanks for the help guys. Trust me I'll take yall's opinion over mine any day lol

You could always get a 10g or 20g tank, put your betta in it with other fish, and use your 2.5g as a hospital tank. :D

I have a 10 gal. With 4 neons and 4 glowlights that school together 4 dwarf cories and a guppy. I want to upgrade to a 20 long but mom says no and she's the boss

What if I put 2 juvenile cories in with him and transferred them to the 10 gallon as they grew?

spencelee10 said:
What if I put 2 juvenile cories in with him and transferred them to the 10 gallon as they grew?

Not worth the move, just leave the Betta be. Harsh, I know, but it's just not worth it.

He just seems bored. He lays on the sand all day and only gets up when I come into the room.

I agree with the rest. The best is to upgrade to at least a 10G, but I do understand that mom is the boss (as usual).
So my suggestion is to buy "toys" for you betta, I heard about rings that make them to play with it, so he can be more active.:p

Someone said african clawed frogs...you CANNOT put a clawed frog with a betta..ever..they get huge and will tear your betta up. If you had a larger tank you could try african dwarf frogs. Honestly I don't believe a 2.5 gal is humane to keep any fish in. I think any fish would be bored in a tank that small. Maybe you'd find him more active if he had more room to swim around and explore. Laying on the bottom? What's your water temp? Bettas are most compfortable at 80F. Also is this a brand new betta?? Maybe the water current from the filter is a little strong for him, or might take some getting use to. You might want to put a tall plant, one that goes all the way to the top of the water, right under the filter current to help deflect it and see if that helps. One of my male bettas laid around for the first 1-2 weeks I had him and then he perked up and started being more active. His conditions were perfect so it seems this was just his way of settling in.

I use the api master test kit. The flow is not very strong but ill try the plant idea

if you don't have one yet, try to get him a thermometer and heater. Not a heater with a preset temp, but one with a dial that will allow you to manually adjust the temp.

25 watt heater the temp on the digital thermometer reads 78 and the thermostat on the heater is set at 79

Back
Top Bottom