any idea of how many fish should be in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A very, very general rule is an inch per gallon. In general you can either pick a few large fish or more smaller fish. For a 20 gallon tank, you're basically going to be limited to smaller fish. You just can't put a 6 inch fish in there, much less a 12 inch one.

Yes, just make sure you account for what size the fish gets, not how you buy it.

It depends on what you want. Some fish can not be housed in a smaller tank (like a 20 gal). What are you considering?

What are the dimensions of the tank? Do you like community to aggressive fish? Please be more specific and you'll get more solid answers.

A good idea is to visit a fish store and see what catches your eye. Don't buy yet, but jot down the names of the fish you like. Then come back here and post them, and people can give you an idea of which on your list would be compatible with one another and work for your size tank.

Don't trust what the fish store people tell you, and don't buy anything until you have researched compatibility (or asked about it here).

Do you know about cycling a new tank? If you are a beginner to fishkeeping you will need to make sure you know how to cycle BEFORE you buy your fish. People can explain it very well here, and there are also articles and old threads on the subject. Failing to cycle is the most common reason for fish death in new tanks. Again, don't listen to what the fish store tells you. They will try to sell you a bunch of stuff that will only make the process harder on you and your fish.

Also, check out the sticky at the top of the "Getting Started" page of this forum called "What fish should you get." There is lots of good information there to help you choose.

Good luck, and keep asking questions! Welcome to AA!

'fearlessfisch' i like yor idea ..im gonna try it! ill be back....yeah i know about cycling...thanks for the idea ...how about lighting?

fearlessfisch said:
Don't trust what the fish store people tell you

Again, don't listen to what the fish store tells you.

This is too true. The advocists that post on this site are geniuses and I suggest you listen, or like me you will learn the hard way. :oops: Someone at the LFS sold me 2 oscars for a 29g tank and told me "oh yeah you'll be fine!" Half a year later there's a 50g tank in my living room. Fortunately my dad is a fish guru so we set the tank up and added fish the next day (highly not recommended) and havn't lost one yet (been about a month now).

I actually went to a LFS to test their knowledge and asked if I could add another oscar to my 50g and they told me yes, lol!

Chances are the fish you're interested in will be reviewed by someone who has kept them and you will get first hand information from the species keeper rather than a seller (who knows nothing more than the fish's small size and likely overcrowded behaviors).

Please don't misinterpret to not trust your LFS at all. All I'm asking is to do your research beforehand, rather than after making a big mistake, then make a decision about what's best for you and your to be fish.

Best luck from a novice. You have a good starting tank in 20g, make the most of it! :wave:

Back
Top Bottom