Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-29-2003, 05:56 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Any idea what is happening?

OK, I am totally stuck and what I am about to ask is probably totally stupid but I have tried evrything I can think of, am getting nowhere and losing lots of money!

I have a 200 litre tank that has been running for the best part of three years. Have had the occasional dead fish over time but nothing too horrendous. However, over the last couple of months carnage is running rampant with mass disappearance and numerous floaters.

I perform weekly water tests of all the usual (Ph, Kh, Gh, Nitrite and Amonia) and everything is fine. I have even taken a water sample to my local store for them to check in case my testing chemicals were bad but they give the same perfect results.

The plants are OK and the 600 litre Eheim filter running fine (and cleaned in aquarium water every 4 weeks).

Surving nicely at the moment are :
  • 1 x Large Clown Loach (2+ years)
    1 x Medium Clown Loach (6 months)
    1 x Large Kissing Gourami (2+ years)
    6 x Guppy (2 months)
    2 x Powder Blue Dwarf Gouramis (9 months)
    1 x Flame Red Dwarf Gourami (1 month)
    6 x Neon Tetras (6 months)
    1 x large female Swordtail (2 years)
    1 x small male Swordtail (3 months)
    1 x small Bristlenose (1 week!!)

Perished over the last little while are the following :
  • 4 x small Clown Loach
    2 x small female Swordtail
    1 x small mail swordtail
    2 x small Bristlenose
    1 x small Sailfin Pleco (my favourite, expensive and a sad loss)
    2 x Guppy
    2 x Neon Tetras

Anybody have any ideas for all the losses? Am I missing something obvious here? As far as I can see, there is no sign of fungus or disease.

Many thanks in advance.

Martyn

Old 04-29-2003, 06:12 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Oooops, also forgot to mention that I do 20% water changes every 2-3 weeks.

Also forgot about my 3 month old Angel fish which is doing quite nicely. However, he lost his mate about 6 weeks ago.

Old 04-29-2003, 06:21 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Vicshaw Send a message via MSN to Vicshaw
Overfeeding of feeding the wrong kind of food might be a problem! What food are they eating at the minute?
Old 04-29-2003, 06:28 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
What food are they eating at the minute?
TetraMin Tropical Flakes from Tetra. They get fed twice a day at 8am and 8pm on an automatic feeder. The flakes disperse nicely through all levels of the tank and all food is gone within 3 minutes.

They also get frozen bloodworm twice a week through a feeder and seem to love it.

This feeding regime has been the same for ages.
Old 04-29-2003, 08:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Oooops, also forgot to mention that I do 20% water changes every 2-3 weeks.

The only thing I can think is to do this more often. Until fish stop dieing on you, up this to 25% each week, and clean the gravel really well. even though your tests are coming back OK, you may need to get more waste out of the gravel. Sorry I don't have anything else for you, sometimes this hobby is tough.
Old 05-01-2003, 01:28 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

OK, lost the other Bristlenose and Flame-Red Dwarf Gourami this morning. Water tests still OK so it looks as though it will have to be the the full on gravel cleaning.

What's the best way of cleaning the gravel? Do I just rinse it in a sieve? Should I use fresh tap water or siphon off a load of the tank water as I usually would? Are there any cleaning solutions that should be used?
Old 05-01-2003, 03:45 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to angelstiger
whoa, whoa whoa. You don't take the gravel out.
Quote:
What's the best way of cleaning the gravel? Do I just rinse it in a sieve? Should I use fresh tap water or siphon off a load of the tank water as I usually would? Are there any cleaning solutions that should be used?
Cleaning solutions? NEVER.

You have had this tank for 3 years and you have never vacuumed the gravel????????
55 gal. livebearers, 55 gal. oscar, 29 gal. tetras, 29 gal. angels, 29 gal. female bettas, 20 gal. barbs, 20 gal. guppies, 10 gal. fry, 10 gal. grow out, 10 gal. quaretine, 10 gal. feeder, (16) 1 gal. male betta
Yeah i'm getting too many aquariums. Maybe I'll stop setting them up after I get a 125 or 180 or 300 gallon...... Sure I will. hahahaha
angelstiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 03:50 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

What? Huh? Am I missing something here?
Quote:
Cleaning solutions? ""NEVER!!!!""

You have had this tank for 3 years and you have never vacuumed the gravel????????
55 gal. livebearers, 55 gal. oscar, 29 gal. tetras, 29 gal. angels, 29 gal. female bettas, 20 gal. barbs, 20 gal. guppies, 10 gal. fry, 10 gal. grow out, 10 gal. quaretine, 10 gal. feeder, (16) 1 gal. male betta
Yeah i'm getting too many aquariums. Maybe I'll stop setting them up after I get a 125 or 180 or 300 gallon...... Sure I will. hahahaha
Old 05-01-2003, 03:55 AM   #9
i3k
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What do you add to your water when you do the partial changes...it's a silent killer alright...i suppose you watch your fish closely for signs of stress and illness? if your fish are dying at this rate maybe you should drain the whole thing and start all over before you lose more and more...its recommended not to change more then 10% of water a day but in case of disasters like these...you should change 50% of the water or just start all over...clean everything...gravel over the years can build up dangerous bacteria if not cleaned with a gravel cleaner...i had something like this happen to me a while back...i found out that the ich preventing additive i was using was too strong for some fish and gentle enough for others...well cant think of anything else for now...i hope you figure out whats really going on...this can really be a pain sometime not knowing whats happening to your fish...
Old 05-01-2003, 04:06 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Please tell me there isn't a plugged up nasty UGF under that unvacuumed gravel. My guess is anerobic bacteria.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com