Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-04-2012, 02:27 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Any ideas of what I can do for my waters pH?

Hi guys,

I'm having water consistency issues. Sometimes my pH, straight from tap after gassing of is 6.8, sometimes its 6.0. Regardless of what it is when I put it in my tank within a day or two its down to 6.0.

Anyone know of how I can regulate it? Some people say a bag of crushed coral in with the filter but will that work? How much should I put in?

I have a small, 8 gallon tank.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:29 AM   #2
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

It would be worthwhile to go get your Kh & Gh checked at the lfs. I know they use strips but it will atleast give you ballpark numbers. I suspect your Kh is probably zero or very close to it which why your having ph stablility issues. Your ph may actually be below 6 but 6 is the limit for the API test- anything lower will read the same. Getting a clearer idea of your numbers will def help especially because you will encounter the same issues with your water in your new tank.

Crushed coral or argonite in a small mesh bag or piece of panythose in your filter should help but it will take a bit of trial & error to get the amount right. Start with a water change & around a tablespoon of the stuff. Wait 24hrs & check your ph & see how it looks. Your not aiming for a huge jump, just stability in your taps range (6.5-6.8). You may need to remove a bit or add a bit more depending on how your ph looks after 24hrs. If it jumps drasticallly in 24hrs, do a water change & remove some. If it doesnt change or drops, add a bit more & recheck again in 24hrs. Once it stabilizes, you will need to keep an eye on your ph & check the amount in your filter weekly (it will dissolve over time). Hope this helps!

Old 04-04-2012, 07:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the tips.

Unfortunately there are no local fish stores or good pet stores within hours of where I live so I'll find a kit online that can give me those readings.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:56 AM   #4

Have you got any rocks or driftwood in that tank?

Beacuse that changes the PH
Old 04-05-2012, 06:03 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Nope no drift wood. I only have a few plants.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:59 AM   #6

Ok well that isnt changing the PH then.

Have you tested your tap?
Old 04-05-2012, 07:01 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yep, it fluctuates unfortunately. Last week the tap after gassing was 6.0 or below, two days ago I poured more water, tested it today and after gassing its 6.8 :/
Old 04-05-2012, 09:43 AM   #8

The problem is at the water company!

Not your fault.

I am not sure what to advise now really.

Sorry at least you know its not your fault its the water you are getting supplied with.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com