Any Magazines a Good Read?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ive gotten a Tropical Fish Hobbyist magazine before and to tell you the truth they arent really that helpful. Pretty much everything that they print you can find online or in books. I would save your money on a subscription or buying them in generally and get yourself a few good fish books. I recommend Aquarium Fishes of The World by Dr. Herbert R. Axelrod, its 1000pages of data on just about everyfish you can think of.

I used to subscribe to Aquarium Fish Magazine, but haven't renewed it. Its mostly your very basic info. What I did like was their fish profiles.

Tropical Fish Hobbyist is a better choice. I don't have a subscription, but have bought a few in the LFS and have liked them a lot.

Truth be told, magazines are published advertisements for the most part and you won't find a lot of content. What you want is the articles that are written by the experts. TFH has more content that most others IMO.

Books are better in the long run, especially if you want to get deeper into the informative part of the hobby. Amazon.com is having a sale on Dr. Axelrod's book right now.

Aquarium Fishes of the World

I agrre with Jchillin, besides the book is a great help when buying fish. Also it has breeding, plants and alot more stuff in there, its a life saver.

I don't actually subscribe to any fish magazines because they are mostly ads, and alot of the articles are either very basic, or unrelated to my interests.

However, I do check out several magazines at Barnes&Noble. If there is a really good article, or a really nice photo spread, I'll spring for that issue.

In general, Freshwater and Marine Aquarium has excellent articles - it seems to have more content geared for salties, tho.

TFH has fantastic photos - especially planted tanks. It's a nice place to get ideas.

I subscribed to the Aquarium Fish Magazine as well. The information was much too basic for me, only one third of the magazine is freshwater, one third saltwater, and the other third is just stuff like ads and crossword puzzles.

I really wouldn't spend a cent for it anymore.

Well I write for Freshwater and Marine Aquarium (FAMA) so I am kind of partial to that publication. FAMA is geared towards a variety of hobbyists and I think that you will find a very robust (especially in the Q&A department) amount of information. Julian Sprung just started writing Reef Notes again monthly in FAMA and I think it as well as our other columns and features make a wonderful aquarium publication. In addition to that I personally feel FAMA has far less advertising and more content then other aquarium publications.

As for Aquarium Fish I have read and heard that it is geared more towards beginning hobbyists. Marine Fish and Reef Annual a once per year publication by the same publishers that produce FAMA is a great source for saltwater fish and reef info.

Tropical Fish Hobbyist is the largest most mainstream aquarium publication and while I do subscribe I find they are chalk full of advertisments but often have very intriguing articles and also have a nice group of well established writers (FAMA does too though).

RoK said:
crazyred said:
I love Tropical Fish Hobbyist!! They have great pictures and articles. I look forward to it every month.
Ditto.

Ditto for me too ... I get TFH and enjoy it. Its about half freshwater and half saltwater. My favorite parts are always the Q&A (kinda like what you see here on the forums). TFH doesn't replace my normal research or timely responses given by the forums, but rather a magazine containing a topic of my interest. I can't compare TFH to the other mags, but I got it based off of the opinions of the other users here and am satisfied with my purchase ... so if you don't mind spending $28/yr, then its good.

So sounds like TFH is the best for a freshwater begginer .... so i may look into gettin it ... but jibboo u mention that its only $28 a year and my link says 50 ... where can i get it for 28?
TIA

Ray

What I do is I only get the magazine on the rack if I see an article I really am interested in. Other than that, I save my money for other supplies and more tanks, lol.

heh i like ur point LBW .... considering i just acquired another 10gal and stand and glass top and heater all for $15 :) .... so maybe ill just look at the racks at the LFS and see if i like one and read it for a whie inbetween class
thanks guys

Ray

I recieved my first copy of TFH yesterday I took it home and devowerd about half of it I enjoyed it very much. If you like to read it is well worth it if you are just looking to get question answered then stick to the internet. I personaly love to read about fishy stuff and have read most of my fish books atleast twice so for me it is good to have new things to read about and it gives me somthing to look forward to.

This is for the what-it's-worth department... Did you know you can get magazine subscriptions on eBay for really cheap? Here is a link to ebay mag subscriptions - Fish I didn't see any listing for TFH, but they have Aquarium Fish Magazine subscriptions for about $10.

OT: There are over 7000 ebay listings for magazines subscriptions. For example you can get a 3-year subscription to SHAPE magazine for just $1.99. (I'm not selling anything on eBay. I just wanted to offer this cool info.) 8)

Back
Top Bottom