Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-22-2003, 11:54 AM   #31
AA Team Emeritus

Figure 8's are brackish, and they will not do well in a FW setup, but otherwise they are very nice and bigger than the dwarf, which is ridiculously tiny! You will not have to smoosh the snails. I do that for my other fish that don't have the teeth that puffers have.

TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 12:03 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have read so many contradicting advice about Figure 8's... Some say they are naturally freshwater, but thrive in brackish, others say the opposite. My LFS says they will do fine if I add a teaspoon of salt per gallon. Although they claim I can add any type of salt- marine, aquarium or table. I've read they should only have predissolved marine salt. I have no idea! I was just going to play it by ear and hope for the best... In any case, I know they are very light brackish fish, and high ph is more important than salinity... Is that true? I am so confused!!

Old 12-22-2003, 01:45 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to deli_conker
I talked to my lfs this morning and they said they would be happy to give me snails for the puffers, if they could find enough to give to me. I will probably call a few other places as well to make sure I can give them a constant source of crunchy nutrition.

The nice thing is that the tank has already cycled. That is such a good feeling to have a tank where all you need to do is add the fish. I can now truly appreciate fishless cycling and/or bio-spira.

Speaking of which, a question about the 10 gal setup...

Right now I have multi colored gravel about 2 inches deep sitting on top of a ugf. A few decorations and plants with a penguin mini and heater. I was thinking about taking out the ugf to make the tank more accessible. I know this is really going to stir crap up and probably cause some serious damage to the biological filter bed. I have the bio wheel from the penguin floating in my 55 (to help speed it along) so there should be a decent amount of bacteria to help re-establish what was lost in the removal of the ugf. I got a bad feeling that it is going to be really nasty when I pull out the ugf... I'm probably going to have to do some serious water changing to get all of the muck out of the water. Does anybody have any ideas on how to minimize the difficulty of this task?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com