Any suggestions for fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
8 cories is fine. I would avoid the type that grow larger than 2" like albinos, emeralds, and sterbai, to name a few.

Nice stock plan. The cories will hang out on the bottom mostly, the tetras in the bottom half, and the guppies in the top half. The top half of the tank might actually look really empty with only 5 guppies. You could do more guppies, or throw in some other livebearers like platties maybe, if you'd like. You might want to start with the 5 guppies, and add on over time. I know about every other time I go in the lfs I see another beautiful guppy that I cannot resist. Starting with your stock list, you'll still have room to add on those must have's down the line. :) I would keep just males, so you don't have to worry about becoming overpopulated with fry. Let me know if you aren't sure how to sex them.

Maybe consider some live plants? Your fish will love them and they will help keep your nitrates down. You might also find you like the natural feel they give the tank. As time goes on, I'm starting to appreciate some of my plants as much as my fish. You can choose some that are super simple, won't need special lighting or ferts like java fern, java moss, anubias, pennywort, and anacharis. Just wanted to throw the idea out there! :)

One thing I wanted to verify, when cleaning out the tank, you did not throw away the old filter carts, correct?

MetalHeadX343 said:
You could try some rainbow sharks and bala sharks, i used to have those with my tetras.

While this is a great idea, unfortunately he does not have the big enough tank to house either of those fish. Rainbow sharks need 55 gallons and balas I believe need 120 or more. But thank you for contributing your ideas :)

Thank you for the suggestions. Sharks don't do well with me I have discovered.

I planned on all male guppies since I too didn't want babies.
Not sure about the live plants.

As to the filter cartridges, I had changed cartridges about 4 days before. They are the Emperor E Cartridge. I use two at a time. I kept these cartridges when I changed the rock and the water. Just kept rinsing off the outside to keep the muck off. I do throw the old ones away since they have charcoal in them and those kind deteriorate the charcoal from what I was told.

Why would I want to keep them?

Balance of water seems to be good.

Ok, you're going to want to stock very slowly. Your filter carts contain the vast majority of your nitrifying bacteria. If you threw all of your filter media away, especially if at the same time as doing major cleaning, your tank will likely experience a mini cycle (if not worse). It's important you monitor your levels often (daily or close to it is a good idea) for a while with a liquid test kit as you may have an ammonia and/or nitrite spike. You will likely needs some extra water changes to keep those toxins out. I wouldn't add anymore fish until it's been atleast a couple weeks with no ammonia and no nitrite. In the future, leave your carts alone unless they look mucky. If they look mucky, rinse them off in your old tank water, or fresh dechlorinated water. Never straight from the tap. The chlorine can kill off that beneficial bacteria. When the carts are at the point that they are completely falling apart, you can change one...but only one at a time. Never change both within a months time. In my cart style filters, I add a nylon bag or two stuffed with filter floss and porous ceramic rings into the empty spaces. That way there is even more surface for that bacteria to colonize on, and more left in when changing out some for new. You can also rip off that fiber part of the filter once it's falling apart and shove that in there to help seed the bacteria on your new cart. before you toss the rest of it..that's the part holding all that good stuff. Filter cart. manufacturers would like us to believe the carts need changed regularly, but in fact this is just a money maker for them, and is actually to our fishes detriment.

Thank you siva. No one told me that in all the years I have had this tank. Actually, I took water over to the Wet Pet place. My ammonia is very bad so I am changing water every minute (actually every day 25%). lol

I will definitely have it tested before I add fish. Your explanation on the filters really helps.

The salesfishperson said if my tank stays in balance with ammonia up to the 7(?) I should be able to add 8 cories and 8-10 neon tetras at the same time, but wait on the guppies.

Not sure what is best but will try not to be a bad manager of my fish.

This site has REALLY helped me understand what needs to be done.

Pictures of tank after adding decor

I uploaded 3 pictures to show my tank. It only has the 3 guppies at this time. However, since I am asking for advice on stocking it, I felt the more pictures the better to get informed advice.

DSCN1985.jpg

DSCN1988.jpg

DSCN1986.jpg

Thank you siva. No one told me that in all the years I have had this tank. Actually, I took water over to the Wet Pet place. My ammonia is very bad so I am changing water every minute (actually every day 25%). lol

I will definitely have it tested before I add fish. Your explanation on the filters really helps.

The salesfishperson said if my tank stays in balance with ammonia up to the 7(?) I should be able to add 8 cories and 8-10 neon tetras at the same time, but wait on the guppies.

Not sure what is best but will try not to be a bad manager of my fish.

This site has REALLY helped me understand what needs to be done.

My pleasure!

It's going to be pretty crucial that you pick up a master test kit for yourself. You're going to need precise numbers on a regular basis to run the tank successfully. I know it's a bummer to fork out for the kit, but on the bright side, for just one tank, one kit is going to last you a long time. It's not a good idea to rely on a pet store for water testing. Unfortunately they often use test strips, which are bogus anyway. Even if they did take the time to use a liquid kit, they wouldn't know how to decipher the results, or give good advice based on them. Ultimately, they just want to sell fish.

If you currently have an ammonia spike, you will soon have a nitrite spike (even more toxic than ammo) and then eventually that will be converted to nitrates, and while less toxic than ammo and nitrite that should be kept to 0ppm, you don't want your nitrates to exceed 20ppm. Your tank is pretty much starting from scratch, so must go through the nitrogen cycle, which is the conversion of ammonia to nitrite and then the conversion of nitrite to nitrates. Estbalishing the nitrogen cycle in your tank is referred to as cycling. You'll hear this term a lot around here! Because you unknowingly tossed your nitrifying bacteria, your tank is now cycling just like a new tank. There are two methods of cycling, the preferred that is without fish, and there is also a fish in method. Since you already had fish, obviously this is your only option. It can be done properly but it can take quite a bit of work to avoid fish loss. Check this out, should help: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

In addition to a master test kit, I highly recommend a bottle of Seachum Prime. This will serve as your dechlornator. It is more expensive then some, but highly concentrated and serves a few purposes. You can use this to detoxify ammonia and nitrite left in the tank after partial water changes to help avoid fish loss. Until you have a master test kit and have a good idea where your levels are at, I would recommend a water change of atleast 50% daily.

Master test kits are cheaper through fosterandsmithaquatics.com and allpet.com, but you need to order more items for free shipping. If ordering just your kit, your best bet would be Amazon.com or Walmart.com that typically offer the API Freshwater Master Test Kit for about $25 w/ free shipping. It often runs about $10 more than that in the pet stores. Just try to get your hands one as quick as you can. ;)

Also, a word of warning...you'll want to be prepared to wait quite a while to be adding any more fish. I have no idea what the salesperson meant by in balance with ammonia and something about the number 7, the sad fact of the matter is the saleperson probably had no idea what they were talking about either. Fish can only be added safely once your tank maintains 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite. This is when your cycle is complete. It's hard to say how long this will take, but it could be a month.

The good news is, once your cycle is complete, and with what you know now about the nitrogen cycle and the importance of your filter media, you should never have to go through this again! :D

Thank you Siva

To answer your question about how many gallons....Yes, it is a 28 gallon. I have filled it many times, well, filled partially, anyway.

Take out about 7 gallons and it is at 1/4 down. It is bigger than the picture looks. I don't take good pictures.

I also have a 15-18 gal. octagonal which is in storage at the moment since I don't have a place for it.

Thank you very much for your VERY detailed information. You have given me a great deal of help. I now know I didn't know diddly before this even though I would consult with the fish store peoples before doing any work on my tank.

Dense that I am, I am all over the map for helping on some veteran/va claim websites but never once thought about a FISH site. I am So GLAD it finally percolated through to my brain.

I have ordered the API dohickey and the Seachem Prime (2 pounds of it) using Amazon and getting free shipping. I think the Prime will outlast my life. :lol: Oh well, price was reasonable compared to in a store.

I will be keeping your info handy for reference. I also checked out the other site of info you linked. Both have helped me as well as your original long post on filter stuff.

Just a note....
at WetPets the gentleman who tested my water did it right there in front of me using I believe the API dohickey. He had a testing station set up with lots of tubes and things to add drops and bouncing balls and umbrellas and lots of sand...oh wait, this isn't about the beach. Sorry got sidetracked. :brows:

Anyway, I believe he actually knew what he was doing. I probably just remembered wrong. He also printed out info for me on what I should be doing.

Again, thank you. Will let everyone know when water tests correctly or if I have a question.

Again, I am SO GLAD to have found you people. I think I will enjoy my fish a lot more now that I understand the behind-the-scenes stuff needed to keep them happy.

fanaticbooks

I'm getting closer to getting fish

Just an update...

My fish tank cycling is beginning to bubble, bubble, toil and double all the good little bad bacteria.

So now I am starting to research all the great suggestions you have recommended.

By the way, I keep calling it an octagon. :facepalm: I actually mean HEXAGON.

so I can't count. :whistle:

Just to let everyone know in here who helped me out but don't follow in the Getting Started Forum....

I now have a viable fish tank. In it are

5 nerite snails
10 harlequin raspboro
10 neon tetras
8 julii catfish
6 guppies, male

They seem to be getting along fine. There are times they all swim together, all species and then wander off into little hidden areas.

They seem to enjoy the statuary as well as the plastic plants.

My water is staying in balance. I check it every day or two--0 ammonia/nitrite. Nitrate about 10 moving up slowly to 20.

I change water when I feel like playing but also looks to be able to go at least 4 or 5 days with only gradual rise in Nitrate.

Ph stays around 7.0 give or take. I add a tiny bit of buffer if it looks like going lighter. That seems to keep it balanced.

All told, everything seems to be working well. It is thanks to everyone who gave me advice in this forum that I actually think I know and UNDERSTAND what I am doing.

Oh yes, my cats are fascinated with the fish. I had to move the electrical outlets onto the wall in order to keep them from shutting the plugs off. They kept racing around the tank trying to catch the catfish. Twice one fell off the stand because he was going so fast. An added bonus of enjoyment, watching these two. One will sleep next to it so he can watch off and on. I found him there the next morning. He had been there all night. :lol:

Attachments

• DSCN2008.jpg
    DSCN2008.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCN2014.jpg
    DSCN2014.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCN2015.jpg
    DSCN2015.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCN2013.jpg
    DSCN2013.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 61
Just to let everyone know in here who helped me out but don't follow in the Getting Started Forum....

I now have a viable fish tank. In it are

5 nerite snails
10 harlequin raspboro
10 neon tetras
8 julii catfish
6 guppies, male

They seem to be getting along fine. There are times they all swim together, all species and then wander off into little hidden areas.

They seem to enjoy the statuary as well as the plastic plants.

My water is staying in balance. I check it every day or two--0 ammonia/nitrite. Nitrate about 10 moving up slowly to 20.

I change water when I feel like playing but also looks to be able to go at least 4 or 5 days with only gradual rise in Nitrate.

Ph stays around 7.0 give or take. I add a tiny bit of buffer if it looks like going lighter. That seems to keep it balanced.

All told, everything seems to be working well. It is thanks to everyone who gave me advice in this forum that I actually think I know and UNDERSTAND what I am doing.

Oh yes, my cats are fascinated with the fish. I had to move the electrical outlets onto the wall in order to keep them from shutting the plugs off. They kept racing around the tank trying to catch the catfish. Twice one fell off the stand because he was going so fast. An added bonus of enjoyment, watching these two. One will sleep next to it so he can watch off and on. I found him there the next morning. He had been there all night. :lol:
LOL silly kitties! So glad everything is going well with the tank. Sounds like a great stock list! :D

Back
Top Bottom