Any suggestions on what algae eater to put with my male betta 10g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Otocinclus! They are the best little algae eaters! They only get to be about two inches or so.

Nerite snail. Most of the otos you'll find at pet stores are starving and half dead by the time they get there from the wholesaler. They tend to ship badly and the ones that survive the shipping have a pretty poor survival rate later on.

I don't really like snails. I was thinking some ottos, my betta wont go after them?

Amano shrimp. They're much easier to sustain in a 10 gallon than otos.

Ive kept the two together and Ive never had an issue. There is always the potential for issues, though. All it takes is one fish thats just a little more aggressive or territorial than usual...

Nerite snail. Most of the otos you'll find at pet stores are starving and half dead by the time they get there from the wholesaler. They tend to ship badly and the ones that survive the shipping have a pretty poor survival rate later on.

I used to have problems with Otos too. But I now have close to 20 between 2 planted 75 gal tanks, some a couple of years old. Key is to buy in bunches, usually 8-10 at a time. I might lose one or two but the rest are very happy and fun to watch. Slow acclimation was the other important step (I finally learned that helps all new fish). No algae? They love algae wafers too.

That's a whole different ballgame than trying to sustain them in a 10 gallon. Not all otos will accept algae wafers either.

I've had pretty good luck with otos, but I've always been really careful in selecting them. If you are willing to supplement fresh veggies and good quality vegetable wafers then it's doable, but if not then just stick with a snail or something. I've had issues getting them to eat algae wafers (which are usually just compressed fish food), but have had great success with a real honest to goodness vegetable wafer.

That's a whole different ballgame than trying to sustain them in a 10 gallon. Not all otos will accept algae wafers either.

Actually the older ones started in a 10 gal, then moved to a 20 gal, then were in a 30 gal for a year. Just ended up in the 75 a few months ago. I do see as far as stocking a 10 gal with several otos would be a bio-load issue with other fish.

Vegetable wafers? Can you taste the difference? :lol:

In my tank when I toss in a algae wafer it's fun to see the RCS, cories, and otos tackle them at the same time.

Thinking for the OP, wouldn't the betta eat or harass the amano's?

I would stock oto's in groups of 3 or more, with no more than 1 oto per 5 gals. IME most oto's don't go after wafers. Maybe if you're lucky enough to get tank bred, but they are usually wild caught. I've had some luck with peas and zucchini, but some won't even touch that. I think they are best for mature tanks of 20 gals or more.

Some bettas will do fine with amano shrimp, and some will pick on them.

A nerite snail is going to be your best bet.

Back
Top Bottom