any thoughts on sumps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skiweeangel

Aquarium Advice Addict
We have just finished setting up my son's 55 gal and we are looking to ours. We bought a kit set up for him because it was on sale for wicked cheap, and we figured that we will take it slow on the bio load until we can get a canister filter. Right now 4 gold long finned Danios have the whole tank to themselves. We will be picking up some emperor tetras next. This was our son's 3rd birthday present. He wants an underwater castle "so the fishies can swim all around it!" Meaning he wanted the huge underwater castle he saw in petco, he plays with it every time we go there.

My husband and I also were given a 55gal tank with a light from a friend. We don't have the money to get it set up just yet (spent everything on our son's!) and I want to do it right. I already have a canister filter in mind, but now I am wondering about using a sump/refugium instead. Does anyone have any thoughts towards this? I am far from being an expert in this hobby, would this be over my head? Should I tackle it in a few years and just go with a canister filter?

One more thing, my friend swears by using paving stone leveling sand in his tanks. His fish are all healthy and his tanks are beautiful. Anything harmful that he doesn't know about in that stuff?

Personally, for a FW aquarium I think you'll be better off with a canister filter. Sumps do provide some value, albeit way more to a SW tank than a FW tank. Maintenance on a canister filter is much easier/cleaner and canisters are way quieter than sumps are.

Just my $.02.

As for the leveling sand, I don't know enough about it to have an opinion - except to say that if your friend has been using it successfully, it's probably OK.

I don't think it would help unless you did a saltie in the future. That's really what they're meant for. I am using one for fresh but it's a ten gallon and I'm using it to keep my baby mollies. If you do decide to make it here are some pictures....

thanks for the opinions! i think you are right and i feel more comfortable with a canister at this point.

Back
Top Bottom