Any water ager that does not smell?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sealife

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I use Seachem Prime as a water ager and it works brilliantly, but the smell from the bottle is so bad I really want to change brands to something that does not smell.

Anyone reccomend another good brand water ager that doesn't smell like sulfur from a lab factory?

Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just pinch your nose and thank seachem for such a glorious product.. it really is the best.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ive started to enjoy the smell of water with the prime added it smells fishy... and you always feel like a good owner after wcs so idk mebe thats why

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Lol this is too funny. I thought I was the only one but yeah I do agree it smells like crap but it works like magic. It's a great product and honestly I wouldn't recommend anything else. Maybe it's just seachem products but they all smell funky.

I have to agree with everyone else. My tap is highly chlorinated and I won't use anything but Prime. I just use it quick and don't inhale.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You could just let the water sit out for a day or two and let the chlorine gas off naturally. I don't think Time has a smell to it.

That said, I'll stick to the convenience of using Prime. ?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Ok, let me ask this. Does chloramine gas off too?

I agree on seachem prime being a great product for covering all your bases.

I started looking in theory and carbon filters on water filters might do it.

I'm assuming here it is the sodium thiosulphate(?) that gives the smell as I don't know what is in seachem prime or safe.

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/threads/cheap-tap-water-conditioner-sodium-thiosulphate.186071/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_filtering

Below a few other types. From memory API ammo lock didn't smell. You would have to look at what you want the water conditioner to do and go from there.

I have a kilogram or something of seachem safe (powdered prime) which will last for ages and is ok on smell as long as I'm quick.

http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Water_conditioners

Chloramines will not gas off, they need to.be neutralized via water conditioner.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok that's what I thought and I have those in my water I believe I read. Unless you are 100% sure what yours gets treated with I'd use Prime

From what I was told, a long time ago, was the switch to chloramine was because it is more stable and doesn't dissipate on it's own like chlorine does. In order for you to use nothing, you would need to break the chemical bond first ( by adding a product) then allowing the chlorine to gas out and the ammonia to be absorbed via either a biological filter or another ammonia absorbing product. Sounds to me like just use the PRIME and hold your nose. ;) :lol: The smell doesn't really linger. (y)

Prime is pretty amazing. It looks like water, as thin as water yet only takes a small amount to do the job. If it didn't smell I might doubt it wasn't water ?.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Is seachem prime bad to breath in? As in toxic for humans?

Thanks.

Thanks.

Just read the label and there is nothing on it regarding hazards to breathing it in. Keep in mind that Sulpher is a potent odor so why one would want to breath a lot of it in is questionable to say the least. It also does not warn against ingestion so that must say something in itself as to it's toxicity ( or lack of )but does warn to keep away from children. I would think it's harmless to humans used as directed. This of course, is just my opinion. (y)

My cats drink tank water with Prime ALL the time. They don't get sick. Why they prefer it I don't know. I wouldn't try it but evidently it's safe for cats

Thanks.

Perhaps if you had asthma it may not be best thing in the world to smell. That's only based on a separate case I know of where sulphur fumes gave a guy with asthma trouble - so stretching a bit.

Can't say I've ever had any trouble.

From what I was told, a long time ago, was the switch to chloramine was because it is more stable and doesn't dissipate on it's own like chlorine does. In order for you to use nothing, you would need to break the chemical bond first ( by adding a product) then allowing the chlorine to gas out and the ammonia to be absorbed via either a biological filter or another ammonia absorbing product. Sounds to me like just use the PRIME and hold your nose. ;) :lol: The smell doesn't really linger. (y)

On the water report here it states that chloramine is used in water supplies that are sent 600 kilometres away whereas for the local city supplies here it just basically states either may be used.

Back
Top Bottom