Any way to add more gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rach101

Aquarium Advice Addict
I dont have enough gravel in my tank to cut it anymore.. its not really an inch deep (( yeah yeah )) and i loose alot of gravel when i siphon off water with a garden hose.. (( yeah yeah.. )) Is there any way i can add more gravel without making my fish feel like its the apocolypse

First, wash the gravel very thoroughly as you normally would. Then scoop/pour a bunch of the rinsed gravel into something like a ziplock bag. Put the bag in the tank and sink it to the bottom, then open the bag and gently pour out the gravel.

Never done it myself but saw someone else recommend that method once and it sure makes sense. :)

o.o;; id hate to be my fishies when they see a big bag of gravel going down.... --- La la la... swimming around... lala... HOLY CRAP!?! we're all gonna die!!!!!!!!!!! --
o.o; did i mention my fish are currently seeing a shrink cause they are hypochondriacs?

hahahahaha
how funny
I bet one fish in the tank swims around saying "the sky is falling! the sky is falling!" and no one believes them.... until its too late

hehe

I would fill a plastic icecream container with washed gravel and lower it by hand to the bottom and turn it upside down. Make sure you lower the water level to accomodate the new gravel.

I use a 1/2 gallon plastic pitcher. Fill it halfway with gravel then submerge it in your tank until the water fills the rest of it. Now you can simply pour the gravel where you want it. Trust me, I did this with about 100 lbs. of substrate in my 125G.

I recently changed out substrate & added another kind in. Yes it stressed my fish a bit but in 5 minutes they where out nibbling on the new substrate & checking things out. I sort of did the tank in sections so they always had areas to retreat to.

I've seen the lfs store use the plastic bag method aswell. Just one other piece of advice might be to soak it in removed tank water (pwc) to alow some bacteria to get on the gravel and also to ensure no tap water contaminents get in the tank. Good luck

Well i added a little with a ice cream cone shaped cup.. i think my fish thought it was dooms day.. my frog didnt care at all but my fish were all hyperventilating.. Heh... I think my catfish had a nervous break down.. but other then that their doing okay.

Back
Top Bottom