Any way to Evaporation-proof your tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeWinLDS

Aquarium Advice Regular
I like open-top aquariums though, so those types of tanks would have to go. Is there any sure-fire method of sealing your tank so that no water can evaporate at all and then cause those mineral build-up lines to form on your tank? The hassle of topping off the tank is another thing. I don't know how to measure out such a small amount of water conditioner for the top-off water. I'm tempted to just dump it in there, since it's just a small amount, but the chlorine/chloramines are still probably bad for the fish.

i think thats impossible unless your going to seal it shut and let no air inside etc. another way is dont let any light come onto it.. 8P

MikeWinLDS said:
I don't know how to measure out such a small amount of water conditioner for the top-off water. I'm tempted to just dump it in there, since it's just a small amount, but the chlorine/chloramines are still probably bad for the fish.

I don't bother with conditioner with just a small amount. I've read that as long as the amount added is less than 25% of the tank volume, conditioner is not needed. I myself, however, will only skip the conditioner only when adding less than 5%.

I can't think of any way to stop evaporation, short of sealing off the tank completely (and then you won't have any O2 for the fish to breath). I suppose you can decrease the evaporation by keeping your fish room humid & warm - but that isn't too good for us fishkeepers! :twisted:

The best solution I can think of to your problem would be an eclipse hood. It has the light and filter built into it, and is the closest thing I've seen to a "sealed" tank. And then using one of the pre-set thermometers that can be completely submerged, so the only thing running into the tank is a single cord. Of course using the word sealed lightly as everyone else said so that oxygen actually gets in.

-brent

For topping off, I don't add the dechlor. I was surprised to learn my fiance doesn't add it for up to a 10-15% water change. I add it when ever I use the 5 gal bucket and not the little fish only pitcher.

Over-flow filters cause more evaporation, than others. If you have one of these you could reduse the evaporation by changing to an undergravel or a canister. :p

I cleaned out an old 1 gallon milk jug. Then I prepare a gallon of water with dechlor and use that to top off. That way I always have the water on hand and dechlorinated and I am not wasting water treatment chems as 1 drop treats 1 gallon for my chems.

I have an idea on how to make a HIGHLY Evaporation Resistant top. Get a full glass top (actually 2 pieces of glass with durable tape hinge so you can feed easily). Drill holes with a Dremel (fitted with diamond or carborundum bit) for aeration tubes and for filter intake/exhaust tubes. HOB Filter won't be an option with this method just to keep things simple. Instead use a canister type so that only two simple holes need to be drilled into the glass top. Make sure to aerate heavily to facilitate gas exchange process. Although the glass top is just sitting in place, the air forced in will easily find it's way through these unsealed seams. Most of the water vapor will be trapped and condense on the glass top making for occasional dripping "rain".

I don't know how hot it gets in your house, but I find I need to cool my tank off via evaporation. Well also the light heats up the tank...

With the water condensing on the glass top would it leave mineral deposits? That would be a pain to clean all the time, as it would also interfere with light (although I guess that would only be a problem with plants...).

I sometimes use distilled water, or don't top off at all (the water drops down about an inch or so). If you're using amquel and the bottle says 5ml for 10 gallons, then it would be .5ml per gallon. Though I don't know how many water treatment plants actually treat w/3.2ppm chloramine. Here I think it may be less than half that amount. I use about 4-5 drops (that's like .15ml or something at a rough guestimate).

Perhaps people don't need to treat top off water b/c there's excess amquel or dechlorinator in their tank to take care of the top off water?

Edit: For some reason I egocentrically assume that everyone has chloramine in their water. Although most water treatment plants seem to be switching over, so I guess many do. I think it has something to do with aging water systems and pipe corrosion, as well as stability of the dechlorinator. I don't think many of those brita type filters handle chloramine. What do they do? Split off the chlorine and leave the ammonia, or vice-versa? I wonder how many home filtration systems handle chloramine... So are we drinking ammonia now?? Note: this is totally theoretical, I guess I have some research to do... Sorry for the digression....

I don't bother with conditioner with just a small amount. I've read that as long as the amount added is less than 25% of the tank volume, conditioner is not needed. I myself, however, will only skip the conditioner only when adding less than 5%.

If your local water supply has chloramine in it, you will want to start using water treatment even when you add 5% of water to the tank. Chloramine does not evaporate like chlorine, and will stay in the water and eventually build up.

Chloramines do break down, in about a week under bright light, so accumulation is not a problem. <Also, any chloramines present will be gone with your next water change with dechlor.>

I guess it all depends on how comfortable you are with the low levels of chloramines present when you don't add dechlor to top up water. I am not sure if there is real scientific evidence on the premissible level of chloramines for fish. What I've read is more like "I've done this (no dechlor up to 25%) for many years & had no problems".

Back
Top Bottom