Anybody else make homemade fish food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luke Anderson

Aquarium Advice Regular
I made a new batch of homemade gel food for my fish last night, I was just wondering if anybody else does this, and if so with what recipe? :)

Heres the recipe i used this time (my recipe, i have made gel foods tons of times with different recipes, both mine and other peoples.)

1 cup fresh oysters
1 cup raw black tiger shrimp
1/2 a cup frozen scallops
1/2 a cup frozen squid
1 egg
1 sheet plain dried seaweed (kind sold for making sushi rolls)
2 tablespoons eggplant
2 tablespoons garlic
2 tablespoons cooked taro root
2 tablespoons frozen peas
2 tablespoons spirulina tablets (kind sold for people)
1 tablespoon romaine lettuce
1 tablespoon tomato
1 tablespoon apple
1 tablespoon banana
1 tablespoon grapefruit
1 tablespoon orange
1 tablespoon strawberrys
1 tablespoon blueberries
1 tablespoon cooked celery
2 tablespoons cooked acorn squash
4 tablespoons cooked broccoli florets
1 tablespoon cooked carrot
1 tablespoon cooked green bell pepper
3 tablespoons cooked red bell pepper
1 tablespoon raw wheat germ
2 tablespoons paprika
9 packets of knox gelatine
water, as much as needed
1 tablespoon vitamin c powder

Mix everything (except vitamin c powder) using a blender or food proccessor, adding as much water as needed to make a smooth milk shake like texture. Pour into a saucepan, slowly heat to a very light boil, remove from heat, mix in vitamin c powder. Pour mixture out to set onto nonstick cookie sheets. Put in refridgerator till firm. Cut into cubes/strips of desired size, and freeze.

I do here's wha I use...
6 raw shrimp
handfull scallops
3 oysters
2 sheets of Nori
2 tablespoons of freshed minced garlic
small pieces of each:
Tuna
Salmon
Ahi
shark
And 1 squirt each of invert and coral foods...

That's what I was thinking too :wink: Is this for FW or SW fish? I know some SW fish like nori and garlic is used as an appetite stimulator. Shrimp and oysters are sometimes used to make "blender mush" for SW fish.

It looks very yummy! :lol:

This is for my fancy goldfish, angelfish, endlers, guppies, platys, mollys, and corys. 8)
They get fed this only as part of their diet, they get several other frozen foods, and occasional dry foods.

Sorry all i didnt answer everything :oops:

If kept in the freezer well packaged this stuff usually lasts at least 3 months before getting freezer burned. It may last quite a bit longer for some folks just fine, however me being a bit paranoid get rid of it after 3 months and make new stuff.

Goodness! That does last a long time. For us up here in Canada, what do you estimate the price is of all the ingredients?

Thanks for the info! I don't have the fish that you have, but yours are lucky to get such a good diet! It's good that it lasts a long time too. Otherwise you'd be cooking for the fish all day!

I have obsessive compulsive disorder and the way my fish are fed is reflected in that. :lol:

As for the ingredient pricing, to be honest I don't know, as this was all stuff that myself and my roomates had on hand for us people to eat, and i only used small amounts of all the ingredients. For how much it makes though, i find it to be good for the budget though, because of that fact that we people can eat the rest of the stuff that wasnt used in the food!. :D

Back
Top Bottom