Anybody have experience with clown pleco feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JacksonJigsaw

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a clown Pleco in a well planted tank with a massive piece of mopani wood.
My question is I havent seen him eat anything but the wood, I tried shrimp pellets, algae wafers and fresh vegeis. Nothing, all he wants to do is munch on that wood lol. Can he live on only that? There are tons of plants I don't mind him munching on, as long as he is healthy.

He dosent look sick,

Low and behold I see him sucking on my amazon sword right now lol

Anyways can he be healthy on only those? Thanks

The vast majority of a clown pleco's diet is wood, but mine goes crazy for blanched zuchinni. I've never actually seen him go for anything else like wafers or pellets though.

hmm havnt tred zuchinni, ill stop by the store and get some, hope this picky lil guy has a go at it lol thanks for the reply!

I just cut it into plank like strips and blanch it in a coffee cup full of water in the microwave until it's soft but not falling apart, and then run cold water over it to cool it. Drain well and then add to tank. You can use a veggie clip or place it on the substrate or both. Depending on the tankmates you may want to add more than one peice. Some get a little territorial over their zucchini. ;)

Also just last night I saw my clown pleco eating flake. I've had it for several months and it's the first time I've seen that. Give it some time for them to come around to accepting new types of food. :)

Appreciate the advice, strangely I saw him going after one of the oak leaves in my tank.

Back
Top Bottom