Anybody Interested in a discus/ stingray ect set up??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Exotics

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was thinking of starting a discussion, or post if enough people were interested. As I won't be writing for my self. Also thought it would be helpful to share since a lot of ppl don't know where to go for discus info much less stingrays.
I am in no form an expert just thought I'd share my experiences, miss haps, suggestions, and comments. Ill be talking about everything from water parameters to my plants and fish care along with any disease or outbreaks that show up. I would also love any suggestions and comments ect. From you all since I don't and I won't know everything! that's we're other come in:)
So depending on the feed back I get from this post I'll start on my real post with pics, and my info on my set up. just thought I'd see if anybody was interested so I don't put a whole bunch of time and effort in for nothing especially since I'm not finding much of discus or stingrays in this website.... So please let me know what you guy think!!

yeah i for one would be interested in learning more about discus. i have a 70 gal and plan to get 5 discus. will be keeping some other small fish such as tetras and corys in there too.

in your experience when adding the discus is it better to add all 5 at the same time or is it ok to add 1 at a time over a few months?

thanks

tropical-fish said:
yeah i for one would be interested in learning more about discus. i have a 70 gal and plan to get 5 discus. will be keeping some other small fish such as tetras and corys in there too.

in your experience when adding the discus is it better to add all 5 at the same time or is it ok to add 1 at a time over a few months?

thanks

I think adding all 5 at the same time is best
They prefer being in groups after all

I'd follow along as well

tropical-fish said:

thanks

Awesome glad to hear someone is in to it. I'll make that post and be specific on my set up and h2o changes so you could follow along and keep some healthy fish it's really not that hard. A lot of ppl. Make it seem like rocket science but it's easy you just have to really care and pay attention. For me the magic # was 3 they seemed to be doing just fine however I added the other 2 just about a week and a half later. And they just took over they went from hiding a lot to being all over the tank! Then I added a another and I noticed one of the 3 ( the red turquoise ) kinda shied away. He hides under a long a lot and only comes out at night, and his not as social as the rest he kinda chases everyone away except 3 others out of my six:(
Therefore there's nothing wrong with starting with a little less especially since their not the cheapest fish. I'd say the lowest i would go is 3 as long as you plan to add in the near future. So they can develope their behavior correctly and they shoal. Other wise you may end up with a couple skittish discus.
And a warning once you get discus you like become addicted to them you will want more and more!

I'd like to follow I have 3 now planning on getting another soon they are very addicting

Jacob.kerr said:
I'd like to follow I have 3 now planning on getting another soon they are very addicting

Glad to hear :)
Right at first I wanted 5 but every pay day I just buy more fish!!! Unfortunately I lost my job so its gonna be maybe about 2-3 weeks till I get a couple more.

I'm in on it :) my son was just asking me the other day if we could have a stingray with discus. I didn't have an answer for him, as I couldn't find any testaments that the two would work together.

Mlani said:
I'm in on it :) my son was just asking me the other day if we could have a stingray with discus. I didn't have an answer for him, as I couldn't find any testaments that the two would work together.

Yup both are very peaceful fish. In fact if food lands on the stingray the discus will eat right off of him and it doesn't bother him at all!!
A lot of ppl are scared of the stingray especially since it has a nasty stinger which has poison. But they really really have to be pushed in order to sting its more like a defense mechanism than anything. After hand feeding the ray for a couple weeks he literally let's me pick him up and he rest on my hand!
Only problem is I hope you have a big tank or plan on buying one as soon as he out grows it. Also they eat and they eat a lot!!! It gets really expansive with blood worms and beef heart.

I hear that rays need such a large footprint. Is there such a thing as a tea cup ray? and are they truly fresh water?

aquaponicpaw said:
I hear that rays need such a large footprint. Is there such a thing as a tea cup ray? and are they truly fresh water?

Nope no such thing as a teacup thats just what the name juveniles the smallest one I believe gets just over a foot in diameter I'll double check that for you though.
Yup truly freshwater there is one that brackish though so be careful it's black by the way it's so awesome... Mine is a Potamotrygon:) they are awesome it swims all over!!!

Hey exotics
Can you take a look at my 180G build stock I have up & tell me if they're compatible (asking for experience, so far they're doing great)

OBEYtheFISH said:
Hey exotics
Can you take a look at my 180G build stock I have up & tell me if they're compatible (asking for experience, so far they're doing great)

Defiantly but I didn't see it up on your profile where do you have it posted? Just so you know if you haven't built it yet I would recommend something in the 200 gal area. I know my stingray is going to outgrow his tank and I'm saving for a 300gal. I got him so small and it really looks like he has grown quickly. Not only that but when he's actually full size you want him to have room to swim around they are actually super active! You don't want to let him go to another family cause you can't house him. And it will save you money if you just get a bigger tank now than upgrade like me. But If you just want him and don't care about saving money get him! You'll love it! He will be good in a 180 for some time anyway:)
Anyways back to your question post some picture and and let me know what going on in there and I'll let you know?

Oh sorry let me clarify
The Discus with my other fish, I don't plan on getting a stingray any time soon

OBEYtheFISH said:
Oh sorry let me clarify
The Discus with my other fish, I don't plan on getting a stingray any time soon

With the bichirs? Or what kind of fish?
I know a bichir will be good with discus I had an ornate just like you and he was fine with my discus. Just make sure you keep discus that will not fit in his mouth, cause you can get some small discus and the bichir does grow to a good size. Unfortunately I no longer have my bichir cause he attacked my stingray which is a big NO NO! Should have seen it comming since their both bottom dwellers. But my main rule in my tank fish don't eat other fish. Unless their feeders:p but yea I don't like my fish getting hurt so he's a goner:(
Anyways back on topic Discus tend to do good with peaceful fish that mind their own business. They are also slow eaters so try to get something that won't out compete them for food or get good at target feeding and have lots of food! :) I also noticed they don't like to be bothered much when their trying to get their beauty sleep. So If you get a fish that's very active at night make sure you give the discus their hiding spot where they can be alone. I think you'll be good though since its 180g that should be enough room for other to swim and discus to hide on one side.

Update: in a couple of hours adding in new fish!
(12) cardinal tetras
(8) rummy nose tetras
(8) fancy guppies 4x male 4x female looking for 4 more females
I believe that's what you have right?
If so I see no problems whatsoever.
Hope I answered your question if not let me know I'll try to answer it again.
Also you got your self some red turq's hu?

I love your set up by the way the drift wood is amazing where did you get it if you don't mind me asking?
I gotta say your a way better aquascapeer than me!

In the app its on page 8 & online its on page 15 I think
Also I think they are red & blue turqs not really sure yet
Got them really young there colors are barely coming out

Back
Top Bottom