Anybody know about Porthole Eels?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PzIkHo

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've inherited a porthole Eel from a friend who was unable to care for him. I didn't want the little guy to die, so I really had no choice but to take him in.
I don't really know too much about these guys other than they eat bloodworms and, if they're hungry, will eat my other fishies.

I'm planning on getting another aquarium as soon as possible, so I can have him by himself, but until then I'm afraid he's in there with my tetras and danios etc. etc.

So far, (about two weeks or so) there haven't been any problems. He's not dead, so I'm assuming he's eating. And I still have all my fish, so I'm assuming he's eating the bloodworms.

Any information/advice you could give me on this guy would be much appreciated:)

I did a quick search and it looks like porthole eel is just another name for peacock eel (I am not 100% certain on this, just what I read so anyone out there correct me if I am wrong please)

If peacock eel = porthole eel, take a look at this thread
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/peacock-eels-135929.html

Peacock eels get to 12inches so you will need another bigger aquarium once he grows. Also they are not aggresive and make good community fish as long as their tank mates are bigger than their mouths so if you set up that other tank you can probably add some middle and top swimmers too.

If you want a clean-up crew avoid shrimp cause those will be food for your eel (plecos are ok)

I heard the same thing, so I think it must be true!

So far he's been getting along with everybody, I even have a whisker shrimp and he's managed to stay alive so far!

Thanks a bunch! =]

Back
Top Bottom