Anybody use shop lights?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishayFishay

Aquarium Advice Freak
Starting up a 20 long and looking for a cheaper option when it comes to a light fixture. I would prefer something that handles t8 or t5 bulbs and a shop light is the next best option imo when it comes to the price. 30 inches and I would like if it could grow low light plants.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure do. I use a 2 bulb t5ho shop light from home depot on my planted 55. I fabbed up a reflector from some aluminum roof flashing. Works quite well! Apparently this is something I didnt take many photos of which kind of surprises me. Below are some shots of the fixture, the reflector i fabbed up; and then a shot of the lamp without the reflector over a tank and then one with the reflector over the same tank (not the 55 its over currently). I'm sure you could find some more views of it on some of my youtube vids if you were really interested.

pHosting.php

pHosting.php

pHosting.php

pHosting.php

Sure do. I use a 2 bulb t5ho shop light from home depot on my planted 55. I fabbed up a reflector from some aluminum roof flashing. Works quite well! Apparently this is something I didnt take many photos of which kind of surprises me. Below are some shots of the fixture, the reflector i fabbed up; and then a shot of the lamp without the reflector over a tank and then one with the reflector over the same tank (not the 55 its over currently). I'm sure you could find some more views of it on some of my youtube vids if you were really interested.

pHosting.php

pHosting.php

pHosting.php

pHosting.php

I'm kinda looking for something less powerful but that's still awesome man. What's your YouTube channel? I'll check it out.

Aside from that, I'm looking for like a 30 inch t8 or t5 fixture. I kinda think it'll be hard to find.

I'm kinda looking for something less powerful but that's still awesome man. What's your YouTube channel? I'll check it out.

Aside from that, I'm looking for like a 30 inch t8 or t5 fixture. I kinda think it'll be hard to find.

The common sizes are 12",18",24"48" so I'd go with a 24". Unfortunately no 30"....

How much did the T5 cost you iksdrinker?

If you want you can also purchase 2-3 reptile cfl light fixtures from petsmart. I have one over my 20 long and it grows mosses and Java fern so one or two more could probably handle low to medium light plants. It's not pretty but it is cheap and gets the job done.

Sent from Luca via magic

I have a T8 Shoplight over my tank and my plants are doing well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 188
I've had one since the end of January for my 16 gallon tank. I just bought another for my 20 long last week. The seller ships quickly too.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've had one since the end of January for my 16 gallon tank. I just bought another for my 20 long last week. The seller ships quickly too.

And it's been growing low light plants for you?

You bet. The Ludwigia reopens and jungle Val love it. I've also got some Anubias in there. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1460326409.628846.jpg

Wow thanks man. This is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a bunch. I'll let you know how everything works out.

Hey, no problem. I tried the homemade lights for awhile on my other tank. While it worked well it ended up costing more than one of these from ebay. I have no doubt plants will grow well in a 20 long since this tank is a bit taller. Honesty it might create algae problems!

Here's a thread on them: Beamswork

Attachments

• IMG_0850.jpg
    IMG_0850.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 86
Hey, no problem. I tried the homemade lights for awhile on my other tank. While it worked well it ended up costing more than one of these from ebay. I have no doubt plants will grow well in a 20 long since this tank is a bit taller. Honesty it might create algae problems!

Hey that's completely fine with me. I'd rather fight off algae with a good light then go and spend double and maybe triple on a light that'll get my plants growing and give me algae too! Lol thanks again

Hey, do you mind giving me an update on how it's working out for you with your 20 long and the beamswork fixture?

Yeah, if you can, go with the LED lights.
while having a higher initial cost, the cost over their lifetime is far, far less than fluorescents.
Fluorescent bulbs lose a lot of their output within 9-12 months altering the spectrum and causing issues such as algae blooms.
an LED unit will easily last 5+ years (barring cheap junk or faulty workmanship) with no need for further investment after the initial purchase.

Hey, do you mind giving me an update on how it's working out for you with your 20 long and the beamswork fixture?

I was going to ask you the same thing. Did you end up buying one? Mine are still working just fine.

Back
Top Bottom