Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-12-2015, 01:16 PM   #1

anyone else have this problem?

Tge one thing tha drives me nuts, is that I love fishkeepijg but I am only. Twelve. And also really small for my age. So when I walk into an lfs that doesnt know me, they start talking to my mom, who doesnt really know anything fishkeeping. ( its funny when she says japanese fighting fish, or calls guppies tetras) the employees look at my mom and say, so what do you need today? And my mom kinda gives me this look like, help me. Its funny and annoying at the same time.

Old 09-12-2015, 02:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

If I could ever drag my mother to the fish store I'm sure I would the same "help me" look

About all the stores in my area at least know my face lol

Caleb

Old 09-12-2015, 04:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by platybreeder26 View Post
Tge one thing tha drives me nuts, is that I love fishkeepijg but I am only. Twelve. And also really small for my age. So when I walk into an lfs that doesnt know me, they start talking to my mom, who doesnt really know anything fishkeeping. ( its funny when she says japanese fighting fish, or calls guppies tetras) the employees look at my mom and say, so what do you need today? And my mom kinda gives me this look like, help me. Its funny and annoying at the same time.

Maybe you can explain to your Mom how the experience makes you feel and that when that happens, she should say to the store clerks " Actually, you need to speak with my child ([ insert your name here) because that's the fish keeper in the family."

While I understand it's frustrating on your part ( believe me, I went through a similar thing, being taken seriously at a young age ), you have to understand that the hobby changed a while back from a kid's hobby to an adult's hobby so the store clerk might just automatically assume you are there to help your Mom not the other way around. Don't take it personally. Dazzle the clerk with your knowledge.

Hope this helps
Old 09-12-2015, 05:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Once the LFS know you're the fish keeper they should start to talk to you directly, and that will in turn impress your Mum. You're very lucky that you can start keeping tropical fish at twelve, most parents would insist on a goldfish or two. Good luck with the fish and the LFS (and your Mum).

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Tags
problem

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com