Anyone else's cat drink the tank water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JumperGirl117

Aquarium Advice Freak
Obviously this isn't a first time thing if my betta isn't that freaked and I was wondering if anyone else deals with this and if it will affect my tank? I am assuming it won't and everyone is getting bigger and appear to be thriving but when I took my homemade cover off my son ripped it so I am once again coverless...

The app apparently keeps crashing. Will post pic asap

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130626_232935.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130626_232935.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 114
  • ForumRunner_20130626_232952.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130626_232952.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 92
  • ForumRunner_20130626_233007.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130626_233007.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 87
I don't know what happened. I got a message that the app was crashing so I kept trying. Sorry guys. Apparently it still was saving the pictures

The app does funny things sometimes :)

I can't think of any issues. My dog drinks dirty and new tank water from the bucket during water changes and he and the fish are fine!

My cat has never drank the water but he has ate the water lettuce. He is crazy about greens. LOL The tank water will not hurt your cat as long as it doesn't have meds or a lot of fertilizer in it. Cats like fresh water so take it as a compliment. You can buy fountains for cats that recirculates the water to keep it fresh.

Mmmmm. Sushi flavored water! What more could a kitty want? Cats are notorious for not drinking enough water and getting kidney problems as they get older because of it. Any inducements to them drinking plenty of water is a good thing. Mine love to get their "daddy drink" from a stream straight from the bathroom sink also. OS/

My cat has never drank the water but he has ate the water lettuce. He is crazy about greens. LOL The tank water will not hurt your cat as long as it doesn't have meds or a lot of fertilizer in it. Cats like fresh water so take it as a compliment. You can buy fountains for cats that recirculates the water to keep it fresh.

Ha my cat wishes for a fountain. It's ridiculous. She will not eat old food and it has to be the meat friskies outdoor adventure. She will take each individual piece of food and will flick it out if her bowl and will eat it off the ground...

My cats like to sit on top of my tank. If my cats could move cover they probably would drink from it. I really don't see any issues with your cat drinking the water at all. As someone else stated the only issue might be is if you have any chemicals in the water other than that I would not worry about it.

My dog sits on the steps, leans through the railing and drinks out of my tank all the time. No matter how much I tell him to stop he doesn't. The fish often will swim up to him to check him out but there have never been any issues:)

Cats love the moving fish and the moving water. I think it's just natural. As long as they don't try to fish or fall in like one of mine did on the 220g I think it's fine. Well as long as the tank isn't being medicated. We have 3 cats that were rescued from the area around the Mississippi river and for them tank drinking is the most natural thing in the world... well until one knocked another in. Taking a dip instead of a drink in a 220g tank wasn't too much fun and actually that cat no longer drinks from the tank... lol!

Animals Drinking Tank Water

Hello Jump...

Animals in general have a much stronger digestive system then we do, so it's nothing for them to eat and drink foods and fluids that would likely make us sick. We have 8 indoor cats and they've all sampled the tank water numerous times over the years and show no ill effects. Of course we change out quite a bit of water every week to 10 days in all the tanks, so it never gets very dirty.

B

LOL +1 to River's post. I would have loved to have seen that. Cats can look so embarrased when they do something dumb. I know my Stormi can look so pitifully embarrased. Too funny! OS.

I have four young kittens at the moment and i have got them well trained to avoid my fish already. Every evening I take them up to the tank, show them the fish, then dip their paws in. They don't like being anywhere near the tank now!

Our cats drink the tank water too, luckily they don't bother with the fish, they just love the water for some reason :p They like to sleep on the lid too...

I got her when someone threw her off of a low bridge and she has definitely kept some of her "wild" tendencies. She was tiny but I am a preety firm belieber in letting my pets (and my children) making their own choices and letting them deal with the consequences go along with it ( obviously it's more complex with my two children under the age if three). But she has always been an mostly outside cat. She spend majority of her time outside and during the winter will only come in to eat and may sleep. She won't drink certain types of water and will leave a full just washed bowl of water for 4 drops of rain on the balcony railing on my apartments railing. I think she likes to live in that fantasy of surviving on her own...

I'm glad I stumbled on this. I always wonder if its unhealthy for them! With flourish and the conditioner.

My cats are always drinking tank water (dirty or clean!) and I am always shooing them away during WCs. Blackamus (husbands BIG long haired cat) gets up on the GLASS top at night to drink from the filter (he does it at night cause he knows I won't yell at him!), it makes me so nervous I am going to wake up to either a cat impaled by glass in my tank or my fish squished under glass and my cats fishing them out! He isn't very slick, he always knocks the light around and the lid off filter. One day I'm just going to take the lid off completely and just watch him jump straight into it, maybe that'll show him lol. And record it of course =P

I guess I should order them a little fountain waterer next time I get flea meds from foster and smith.

When my sister got her first beta bowl, my cat would drink out of it every night. We would wake up to an inch of water gone and cat hair floating in it. We put a dictionary on top of the bowl, but he just pushed it off. We added more books, soon we had at least 3 books stacked on there and some candle holders, hoping more heavy things would discourage him- but he was so persistent! I would hear a big thud in the night and my sister yelling at the cat. But I guess he finally got bored of it or figured it was too much work, because he leaves it alone now!

My cats love drinking the fish water. They cant get into any of my tanks, but when I do water changes, they are both right there with thier heads in the bucket. I use a python system most of the time, and Turbo will sit on the sink and drink the water that comes out of the faucet end of it when I drain the tank.
So far they seem no worse for wear, and at least I know they are well hydrated! Lol

My cat used to drink out of my SW tank until I got a JBJ top off. When it works it has a high pitched tone and she doesn't want anything to do with the tank now.

Back
Top Bottom