Anyone ever made a "two storey" aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daven

Aquarium Advice Freak
No, i dont mean two storeys tall lol I got bored and started thinking about the somewhat unused space of taller aquariums, and a thought popped into my head about this. What if someone had a taller tank and built another "bottom" to be suspended about halfway up so that there would be a space above and below with the same footprinted area, and a space on the end or wherever where the fish could go from "floor" to floor? lol A weird idea, but one could place a canister inlet hose down near the bottom so that flow wouldnt just stay in the top. Maybe this could give more areas to place territories or whatever. I should get ambitious and put some of my crazy theories to work one of these days

Its impossible to make the tank like this so fish could swim back and forth between tankd with keeping the bottom tank accessible. You have to completely seal the bottom tank or it will just drain out the top tank.

Now side by side tanks is another matter. Just look up a water bridge.

Its impossible to make the tank like this so fish could swim back and forth between tankd with keeping the bottom tank accessible. You have to completely seal the bottom tank or it will just drain out the top tank.

Now side by side tanks is another matter. Just look up a water bridge.

I mean like take a normal tank, fabricate something to hold up the second "floor" about halfway and then it would all be in the same tank but youd then have two floors. Think of a house with a staircase to the top portion, only it would be just a cutout so they could swim up or down between the two floors.

I've actually thought about this a lot of times. Not actually thinking of doing but just how you would go about doing it. If you did do it, it would be really hard to maintain the bottom portion of the tank. Plus, I'm not sure if the fish would get the idea that they are supposed to go through the hole lol. Plus, how would you make sure you don't put too much weight on the top, resulting in the top breaking and dropping everything on the bottom? IMO, it would make more sense to just get 2 separate tanks lol. But I do like the idea, it would be fun to design but a crap load of work to maintain.

I mean like take a normal tank, fabricate something to hold up the second "floor" about halfway and then it would all be in the same tank but youd then have two floors. Think of a house with a staircase to the top portion, only it would be just a cutout so they could swim up or down between the two floors.

Ahh, I gotcha. I am now understanding what you are saying.

This could be done, but there's a few problems I see.

1 - In the lower portion light would be an issue.
2 - Flow would be problematic, this would create huge dead zones without additional powerheads added in.

Instead, if you want to do something really neat with the extra space from tall tanks look at a paludarium. If you plan it smartly, you can do a mix of both fish and amphibians.

T20080312-010.jpg

Ahh, I gotcha. I am now understanding what you are saying.

This could be done, but there's a few problems I see.

1 - In the lower portion light would be an issue.
2 - Flow would be problematic, this would create huge dead zones without additional powerheads added in.

Instead, if you want to do something really neat with the extra space from tall tanks look at a paludarium. If you plan it smartly, you can do a mix of both fish and amphibians.

T20080312-010.jpg

My LFS has a 100 gallon tank like this has archer fish and some form of anole in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom