Anyone ever try this Powerhead Quick Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

palerider

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Has anyone out there used this " Quick Filter " Connected to a powerhead?

FYI

Ideal for polishing water after maintenance. Turns your powerhead into a "Quick Filter" for rapid removal of most particulate waste (as small as 1-micron). Includes extra-fine weave of duo-density polyester pad and internal frame to prevent pad from clogging input to powerhead. Use continuously or periodically when needed. Also allows for extra circulation when needed without the risk of the powerhead drawing in small fish or anemone. Powerhead not included. Filter measures 2-1/2" diameter x 7" high.

Attachments

• powerhead_125.jpg
    powerhead_125.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 410
Yes I did. Works marvelously. I attached it to the powerhead and then had the attachment hooked up to the undergravel fiolter. Really sucked out alot of gunk in only a matter of hours. I rinse and re-use the foam, as needed. I think I paid 8 dollars for it- great investment!

physicsdude said:
Yes I did. Works marvelously. I attached it to the powerhead and then had the attachment hooked up to the undergravel fiolter. Really sucked out alot of gunk in only a matter of hours. I rinse and re-use the foam, as needed. I think I paid 8 dollars for it- great investment!

Should be on my door step on friday.. Glad to hear it is working well for ya...

Oddly enough, I was just thinking this would be a cool product to sell a few days ago.

I use a DIY version. I have a chunk of old lift pipe from an undergravel filter. I put the UGF attachment on my powerhead, stuff some filter floss in the pipe, and optionally top it off with a peice of sponge. The sponge gets the big stuff and lets me go a bit longer between cleanings.

It's a great little filter. I also use the white cartriges on my breeder tanks to go over the HOB intakes. Works great. And if you don't want the fry to swim up through the bottom, then sew the bottom closed, then slip it on to the HOB intake. And for a quick cleaning of your water, it does a wonderful job.

The white cartridge that comes with it is great for use when you clean the tank, and have particles floating around after siphoning/water change. They do clog quickly if used full-time though. I use blue and white pond filter media cut to it around the plastic core for long-term use in mine. It collects debris very well, but doesn't clog, and reduce the water flow.
I set up a 55 with a reverse-flow UG filter, using 2 large powerheads with quick filters and a canister filter. There is never anything worth siphoning from the bottom of the tank, it all collects in the quick filters and canister.

toddnbecka said:
The white cartridge that comes with it is great for use when you clean the tank, and have particles floating around after siphoning/water change. They do clog quickly if used full-time though. I use blue and white pond filter media cut to it around the plastic core for long-term use in mine. It collects debris very well, but doesn't clog, and reduce the water flow.
I set up a 55 with a reverse-flow UG filter, using 2 large powerheads with quick filters and a canister filter. There is never anything worth siphoning from the bottom of the tank, it all collects in the quick filters and canister.

There anyway you could post a picture of your setup that sounds cool... I have a 3,000 gallon koi pond and use alot of different medias ( bioflow 9, K1 and matala ) I think the the blue/ white media is matala.. Thanks if you can post a picture, If not thanks for the heads up

I just finished cleaning the tank and moving out some fry, the filters are buried behind rocks again. I used PVC elbows and some large-diameter vinyl tubing to adapt the powerheads to the uplift tubes of the UG filter. They look similar to the Penguin reverse-flow powerhead kit, but they're Aquaclear powerheads. They have a reverse-flow option built into them, but used that way they pump less water, and the intake (outflow for normal use) is left uncovered. I also used a layer of the filter media on the bottom of the tank to separate the crushed coral from the black gravel. This also prevents fish from exposing the filter plate. Not to mention all the surface area for bio-filtration, totally overkill as far as that goes.
img_727091_0_4ab66ecf5c282af2fa61d86a6e441be9.jpg

img_727091_1_62c4d717bf80eb2f1ed082e455abcdd6.jpg

toddnbecka said:

Nice tank.. Thanks for the help... Just another qustion for ya.. I'm bringing 2 koi about 7" into this tank 55 gl that I'm cycling right now with media from the pond and plants... I'm not going for a formal look with my tank.. Just a place to put my 2 little Japanese showas in for the winter.. The other herd will just take a 4 month break outside ( they range from 14" to 24" ) Now the question... Do I have to use gravel or can I just leave the bottom glass? And use the 2 powerheads I have with the quick filters with matala wrapped in them.. I also have a HOB wisper with Cermic media in them for the mid water pick up.... Hope I didn't loose ya.. Thanks for any advice....

Shayne

A bare bottom tank will stay cleaner, no problem as long as there's sufficient bio-filtration in the filter media. Just arrange the powerheads so there isn't too much current for the koi, they aren't fond of fast-flowing water. A few large rocks would help to break it up too.

toddnbecka said:
A few large rocks would help to break it up too.

Thanks for the advise... I think all go with a few large rocks to help break the current up like you mentioned... Here's a shot of my pond 4' deep with a 2' plant bog

Attachments

• pondpic_165.jpg
    pondpic_165.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 24
Back
Top Bottom