Anyone ever use ALGONE from algone.com? Opinions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaysono

Aquarium Advice Activist
In reading about my sudden cloudiness that happened yesterday, I'm becoming more convinced I am experiencing New Tank Syndrome, and my vacuuming of my gravel the last three days in a row to rectify my climbing amonia levels actually disturbed the bacteria colonies.

The sudden 'bloom' causing a cross of the green/white cloud with a faint 'oil-slick' rainbow appearance seems to fall in line with symptoms I have read.

Came across a very informative website....even if you don't use their product...it has GREAT information on different the different phases of cycling and nutrient definitions.

Anyway, they are promoting their product: Algone...and they make a pretty convincing argument and case. Anyone ever use this and if so, how did it work out for you? Is it legit?

http://www.algone.com

Thanks all,

-J

I have known some people to use Algone and it worked pretty good short term. Over the long term, it would get pretty pricey. The main issue here is that they are trying to sell products to fix things that can usually be dealt with by good habits and routines. Some product that remove ammo/ites can actually hurt your tank's natural balance. Believe me when I say that once you get a tank established and healthy, you do not need any products of this sort.

It does sound like you over-vacuumed and caused a break in the cycle, so that stinks. Here is some advice for you. First up, toss any Ammo-Lock or anything similar if you are using it. If you need to lower ammo/ites, do a water change but no gravel vac. Then establish a plan for doing cravel vacs and stick to it. When getting everything setup, try to do only half of the tank every week, then switch. Also, try to get some gravel from an established healthy tank and add it to your tank. You can even put it in a media bag so it does not mix with your current gravel...

If you can get a hold of gravel from an established tank, add it to the filter--it will come in more contact with ammonia and multiply from there!

Back
Top Bottom