anyone had or has zebra pleco ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TASHANCRAIG

Aquarium Advice Regular
hi has anyone got zebra pleco or had them and what water qualities did you have them in like ph and water perameters ??? :confused:

Zebra plecos Very pricey when It comes to buying them, I have seen 45-50 dollars for a single Zebra pleco.

You also Need a supply of algae when Introduced to the aquarium, But to let you know, They are nocturnal and generally come out at night to feed.

These pleco's come from the rivers of Rio Xingu, Para and Brazil. They require a pH of 6-7.5 but seem to be doing best in a water pH of 6.5 or just under 7.0 (Most fish can adapt to a wide range of parameters, Including this one). A minimum tank size of 30 U.S gallons (113 litres) is required and a temperature of 78 - 86 °F (26 - 30 °C).

Tyler

Are you referring to L46 plecos? If so,then here are some good things to feed,

Frozen Blood worm
Frozen Brine Shrimp
Live Bloodworm or Brine Shrimp
Peas
Zucchini
Algae wafers

Give them lots of caves to hide in. A planted tank would be nice too. Do not keep them with aggressive fish. They will do fine in a PH of 6 to 8. Like all fish, they will adapt to the PH that is in the water.

You ammonia and nitrite need to be at 0ppm, and keeping the nitrate under 20ppm is always good.

Reactions: HN1
A true L46 zebra pleco is an expensive fish. Their export was made illegal because too many were being harvested for the pet trade. Pretty much all available L46s are captive bred.

I believe L46 are actually carnivorous, so they'll need meaty foods. Some driftwood to chew on is also appreciated.

If you've got a chance to pick up an L46 cheap, I'd do it. I saw a breeding pair go on eBay for $300+ a few months ago. I saw a few L46 in a tank at the Shedd Aquarium last week and they look awesome.

thanks all i knew about the water conditions just wanted to see what people were keeping theirs at as mine are ammonia 0 nirites 0 nitrates 12mg/l gh of 5 and ph of 7-7.5 as im from england they are costing £150 each over here i have found some for £70 which is cheapest sacn find very very nice fish though so gonna perchase 2 on next pay day hopefully get them breeding

Back
Top Bottom